New Aquila Red Series Low g String Diameter

Reno Dave

Reaction score
Aloha to all,
Does anyone know the string diameter of the new" Red Series" Tenor Low g string after it is stretched out and settled in. According to Aquila, the diameter of the string is 1.06 mm (which equates to .042 inches) before being stretched. But, as I understand it this string really stretches out, perhaps reducing string diameter/thickness. MGM did a You Tube video of these strings but no diameters/thicknesses were mentioned.

I'd like to help you out, but I don't own a micrometer. :p

My subjective impression is that while the length stretches a bit, the diameter shrinkage is negligible.

Regular white Nylguts are stretchier than other strings too, when you first install them.
Do you think their diameters shrink noticeably?

I don't have a micrometer either but it feels like it's thinner then the regular Aquila C string. Haven't compared it to a regular wound low g . I've had it on my uke for 4 days now and it's still stretching a bit. A few more days and it should settle down.

Hi,
Single packaged 4th unwound Soprano Low G tuning Code 70U (gauge: 1.02 mm); .40 inches

-Single packaged 4th unwound Concert Low G tuning Code 71U (gauge: 1.04 mm); .41 inches

-Single packaged 4th unwound Tenor Low G tuning Code 72U (gauge: 1.07 mm); .43 inchyes

-Single packaged 4th D unwound Baritone DGBE tuning Code 74U (gauge: 1.25 mm); .49 inches

-Single packaged 1st unwound tenor 6 strings, Code 75U (gauge: .90 mm); .32 inches

-Single packaged 1st unwound Tenor 8 strings, Code 76U (gauge: .90 mm); .32 inches

Third strings:

-Single packaged 3rd unwound Concert High G/Low G tuning Code 77U (gauge: .82 mm); .32 inches

-Single packaged 3rd unwound tenor High G/Low G tuning Code 78U (gauge: .84 mm); .33 inches

-Single packaged 3rd G unwound Baritone, DGBE tuning Code 73U (gauge: .90 mm); .35 inches

-Single packaged 3rd unwound banjouke, Code 79U (gauge: .82 mm); .32 inches

This is a photo of the nut of my tenor with a ten-day old Red G next to a seasoned Nylgut C with a 1/100 inch machinist's scale behind them.

Draw your own shrinkage conclusions.

The listed diameter for a Nylgut C is .95 mm vs 1.07 mm for a Red G.

That's all the hair-splitting I can do.

Thank-you to all who responded to my diameter/thickness technical question. I really like the un-wound low g concept but I don't want to have to widen out the nut for this string either. I have used Aquila Nylgut low g with a wound 4th for four years now, which the nut has proper width.The problem is I wear out the wound 4th in less than a month( fish hooks, unraveling or fret wear). I will still order a couple "Red Series' 72U, but if they are to wide for my nut, they will be shelved like so many other low g sets I have tried.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond,
Reno dave

I really like the un-wound low g concept but I don't want to have to widen out the nut for this string

It was in the design specification of the string that it fit the existing nut slot.

A traditional high G tenor Nylgut is .70 mm, you would have to have a very tight slot to have a problem with a stretched red .107, and the elasticity might help.

http://www.aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=265&lang=en

Main Features:
Technical solution adopted: Nylgut made firstly elastic and then added with red copper powder in order to increase the density to about twice that of standard white Nylgut
-Color: red-brown
-Surface: slightly rough; this texture has eliminated the squeak that sometime hapen with the Nylguts.
-Elasticity: excellent
-Intonation: accurate past the 12th fret
-Pressing strongly the string on the frets, the note does not became sharper
-It is not necessary to file the nut slot wider to accommodate it like fluorocarbon G strings
-Density: about twice than standard white Nylgut
-Diameters: included in a range of 1.00 to 1.07 mm (Soprano and Tenor Ukuleles)

Fits my Kamaka tenor fine. No modification of slot. Intonation good. Sounds better strummed than plucked right now but there is more "settling in" for this string so I'm hoping for improvement. All the comments about stretching are completely accurate. Same material as that guy from the Fantastic Four.

Top Bottom