THE Mahogany Soprano

connor013

Reaction score
Alright, ladies and gentlemen...

If you were to have one mahogany soprano, which would it be, and why?

Martin? Favilla? Timms? Pohaku? DaSilva (which I hadn't even thought of!)? Kepasa? Loprinzi?

Let's have it -- what should I be chasing?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Loprinzi will be a good one, but didnt liked the fretboard, it was delivered to me a bit rough frets so i have to file them otherwise sweet mellow sound

I've had a Timms, Martin, Kepasa, Pohaku, and other mahogany sopranos .....I've only kept the Timms.

I thought you were bidding on Ken Timms' latest... It's still on eBay. Ken says this is one of his best. They are like a vintage Martin, only new and feature Mrs Timms' wonderful French polish.

my 50s martin really can't be beat, and i've played a lot of 'hog sops.

If you like vintage, you should get a Martin. Consistently the best mahogany sopranos for tone and playability out there. Some other vintage makes are good as well. In fact, you might come across a stunning one, but you might also get a dud. So, if you can't play one in advance, a Martin is a safe bet. Get a Style O or 1. Pre 1930 will be louder and spunkier than the later models. Later models will be rich and still quite loud.

If you would rather get a new one, the builders already named are great. I would add Pete Howlett and Joel Eckhaus (Earnest Instruments) to the list. Joel is in Portland, Maine; not too far from you, and he may have some you can play. I've been making sopranos with a luthier for a couple of years. I think they are really good too. The luthier I have been working with is in Northport, Maine, a bit farther away. I'd also recommend checking out The Music Emporium, if you have not yet been there. They generally have a few vintage Martins on hand you can play.

If you like vintage, you should get a Martin. Consistently the best mahogany sopranos for tone and playability out there. Some other vintage makes are good as well. In fact, you might come across a stunning one, but you might also get a dud. So, if you can't play one in advance, a Martin is a safe bet. Get a Style O or 1. Pre 1930 will be louder and spunkier than the later models.

Ditto on the above.
I've yet to play a vintage Martin Soprano but I own and play daily my 60/70's Martin Baritone and have to say its Top Notch all round.
With regard to sopranos I have and am pleased with my Ohana SK38 which is a Martin style 2 copy. It has a lovely rich sound to it.
But UAS says that one day i'll have to have that Martin Style 0 !!!
Cheers
Gary

You can't go wrong with a vintage Martin. If you want something new , check out Kiwaya . Kiwaya is the uke Martin should be building.

@1300cc: that's got to be a fluke, right? I've heard nothing but praise for the Loprinzis.

@Doc_J: very interesting to hear Timms was your winner; the soprano for sale on the Pohaku site has been taunting me of late.

@mketom: I am in the hunt, but I don't want to dig too far into the uke-bank; my Donaldson is coming up fairly soon.

@hmgberg: good advice all around. And, yeah, the Music Emporium is pretty awesome. Do you have a site for your sopranos? Pics?

I had (shamefully) forgotten about Pete Howlett and Joel Eckhaus. And Kiwaya! Thanks, all.

I've yet to find anything I like as much as my Kiwaya KTS-7. Including vintage Martins. I know the Martins have more 'bark' but that's not what I want. But then, I haven't had a chance to try any of the brands you mention.

Any of the ukes you mention will be delightful and you will enjoy any of them. So many great ukes are available these days. Remember opinions (including mine) on instruments depend on the ear, the desires and expectations of the player/listener. So you may not prefer what others do.

But, I do recommend a Ken Timms soprano, especially this one currently for sale as Ken says it is particularly good sounding.
I have never seen him say that before.

Connor, remember that stupid song "The Elusive Butterfly"? That's what looking for the perfect uke is like. I agree that the right uke depends a lot on expectations and budget.

You perceive a uke through your ear, but does your ear like Honduras mahogany with a gloss finish, or Brazilian mahogany with an oil finish? Or vice-versa? Experts here will tell you it's the internal bracing that creates a specific sound as much as the wood. Some builders are known for projection, sustain or clarity in note separation---if you can't have them all, which element is the most important to you?

You also perceive a uke through your eyes. In general, do you like new things that you can make your own, or do you treasure old things with other people's history marked on them?

You also perceive a uke through your arms (its weight and positioning when you hold it, the balance of the tuners), through your hands (thickness of the neck, how many frets, overall smoothness), and through your fingers (fret finish, playability). So much variety to match to select from to meet your specific feeling-wishes.

And you perceive a uke through your playing---are you primarily a fingerpicker, do you attack when you strum? Many experienced ukers choose a certain brand for their style of play.

THE perfect mahogany soprano for someone else may not be the perfect one for you. (It's like dating! :p)
I sold my Kiwaya KTS-4 and adore my Pohaku; Doc_J sold his Pohaku and adores his Timms. You won't know if you've found true love until you take it in your arms. But is it perfect? Have you tried all the strings suggested for your mahogany soprano uke? And then (uh oh) feelings change---you may realign your uke collection and discover that the favorite isn't getting much play time. Or, you may play a friend's uke and discover that you like it better (aughh!).

So go, young hunter, and seek this perfect mahogany soprano uke you long for, but remember: Nothing is perfect, and much happiness can be found in the not-quite-perfect.

My deux centimes. I got started and couldn't stop. :)

Connor, remember that stupid song "The Elusive Butterfly"? That's what looking for the perfect uke is like. I agree that the right uke depends a lot on expectations and budget.

You perceive a uke through your ear, but does your ear like Honduras mahogany with a gloss finish, or Brazilian mahogany with an oil finish? Or vice-versa? Experts here will tell you it's the internal bracing that creates a specific sound as much as the wood. Some builders are known for projection, sustain or clarity in note separation---if you can't have them all, which element is the most important to you?

You also perceive a uke through your eyes. In general, do you like new things that you can make your own, or do you treasure old things with other people's history marked on them?

You also perceive a uke through your arms (its weight and positioning when you hold it, the balance of the tuners), through your hands (thickness of the neck, how many frets, overall smoothness), and through your fingers (fret finish, playability). So much variety to match to select from to meet your specific feeling-wishes.

And you perceive a uke through your playing---are you primarily a fingerpicker, do you attack when you strum? Many experienced ukers choose a certain brand for their style of play.

THE perfect mahogany soprano for someone else may not be the perfect one for you. (It's like dating! :p)
I sold my Kiwaya KTS-4 and adore my Pohaku; Doc_J sold his Pohaku and adores his Timms. You won't know if you've found true love until you take it in your arms. But is it perfect? Have you tried all the strings suggested for your mahogany soprano uke? And then (uh oh) feelings change---you may realign your uke collection and discover that the favorite isn't getting much play time. Or, you may play a friend's uke and discover that you like it better (aughh!).

So go, young hunter, and seek this perfect mahogany soprano uke you long for, but remember: Nothing is perfect, and much happiness can be found in the not-quite-perfect.

My deux centimes. I got started and couldn't stop. :)
What a great post! Much food for thought! Gives one of the sources of UAS, I reckon! :)

Ginny you are so eloquent. I always love your posts and nobody could say it better.

I am interested in all the answers because I have concluded that mahogany is my #1 fav. However for the time being I am trying my best to love and appreciate the one (s) I am with.

I think GT3T11 hit a lot of nails on the head. I hate to sound like I am supporting the local disease of UAS but each instrument has it's own pluses and minuses. I do think the most quintessential mahogany ukulele is the Martin 0 or 1. In my mind it defined the instrument. I have played a few in stores and while each one was a little different they were all awesome. Does that mean it would be my one and only go to mahogany if I had one? I doubt it. Right now I love my Bruko No. 6. Like GT3T11 said it isn't just your ear you play with. It has to look right and the No. 6 appeals to my eye. When I go to grab a uke it catches my eye every time. It also has to feel right in hand. For me a lot about a uke is in how the neck feels and the balance it has. It doesn't have to be as light as a feather but it must have good balance and the No. 6 is great (it is very light too though). I of course love the old timey Bruko sounds. I am guessing they get that Chicago sort of sound out of them because there is no lining inside the body. I dig the sound it makes. So right now I'm stuck on Bruko. Before long KoAloha will have mahogany KoAlana's out. We'll see what happens to the No. 6 when that gets here :)

The one you connect with....only way is to go through a few a find out....that is part of your ukulele journey....there is no easy or cheap ways by asking, experience and personal preference
are big factors....Good Luck Just like people, the test of time will tell....names
and cost don't matter..ukes have their own individual voice and personality..:)

Everyone has made some good points and there are lots of good mahogany ukes out there. I am in love with vintage ukes and earlier made a post about vintage Martin prices having fallen substantially in the last year. Now would be a good time to buy one and if you buy smart you'll never lost money on it and may gain money if the market comes back. Vintage-wise, the best buys out there IMO are Favilla's which now are going for under $200 if you are patient. Same can be said for Gretsch's although I like the sound of Favilla's a bit better, but Gretsch's a great ukes too. In my opinion these vintage ukes sound different from modern ukes although YMMV. The Martins have a crisp ringing bell sound that few other ukes can duplicate and great sustain, resonance and projection, but not everyone likes that. The Favillas are closest IMO. As Ginnie posted, it depends on your preferences. Good luck, g2

No love for Gibsons? Love my old one and think it sounds much nicer than similar aged Martins.

Top Bottom