Best ukelele under $400?

mac336

Reaction score
Looking for a quality concert uklele under $200

Looking for a concert ukulele under $200

Would like to find a good quality ukulele made of wood, but I believe $200 might be a little cheap to find something like that

any recommendation or advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
Most ukes usually have the letter S(soprano) C(concert) T(tenor) as an indicator of size so the Pono you are talking about is a Pono K (Koa) S (Soprano) 1 (Basic). The 2 is the fancier one. I would recommend a Pono Blemished on Ebay. They sound great

Personally, I sold a PKT2 w/ Oahu case for $420 shipped so that should give you an indicator....Now I sold it cheap since I was in the need of cash to purchase my next uke.

thanks for the replies

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koa-Pili-Ko...164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc8425544

^^any opinions on this ukulele?

looked for some pono blemished but couldnt find any

Take a read of THIS thread to give you an idea of where to buy a Uke. Your other option is to buy one from a UU member via the Marketplace forum. If I had $ 400 and the chance of obtaining something that was a cut above the usual stuff, I'd be making sure I got something from a reputable source and that it was correctly set up.

For that money I would go with an Islander. Unlike most of the ukes in that price range they have an inch and a half nut and come set up by the guys at Kanile'a. For that money you can get a nice Mahogany Concert and for a little more you can get a solid wood model. Another great thing about the Islander is that the dimensions and fret board are the exact dimensions of a Kanile'a, so when you do decide to upgrade your new high end Kanile'a will feel very natural.

http://www.islanderukulele.com/page111.aspx

Where you buy is just as important as what you buy. If you can't make it to Oahu to pick it up from Kanile'a I would order it from, Hiwaiian Music Supply. I have bought from them and Music Guy Mike several times and can't talk highly enough about the experience.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.

For $200 or less, you can get an all solid acacia Koa Pili Koko from pilikoko.com (don't forget to use the google checkout coupon for more savings) or the all solid mahogany Ohana CK-25. I have a concert KPK that I'm very happy with. It rings all the way up the fretboard and sounds lovely. Jason set it up beautifully, too! I was really happy with the setup. I believe that the eBay link that you posted is the same guy that owns the pilikoko website. You may be able to get a uke cheaper on eBay if you make an offer and he accepts it. Otherwise, it's cheaper to just get that exact uke on pilikoko.com and use the google checkout coupon.

I don't have that particular Ohana model, but I've heard great things about it. I'm really happy with my Ohana Vita Uke, though, so if I were in the market for a mahagony concert, I'd definitely consider that one.

Good luck and happy shopping!

I bought a KPK concert about 9 months ago from www.pilikoko.com and couldn't be happier. Jason provides great customer service and provides a setup prior to shipping.

I'd see what comes up for sale in the Marketplace or FMM that you like.

Used ukes are typically good deals, usually sound better than a brand new one.

Where do you live? US, Europe, Australia,.... that makes a difference because of availablitiy, shipping, etc.

I have a Ohana CK-20S and love it. Solid top and laminate sides and back. That should be in your price range and are available in alot of places.

I'm moving to Alaska in August. Once we return from Puerto Rico, I'm putting a few ukuleles up for sale. Be patient. They'll be tenors but they'll be worth your wait.

Top Bottom