Ukes in the Big Apple

garyg

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm going to find myself in lower Manhattan for a few days and wondered if there was anything interesting to see ukulele-wise? Stores with high end ukes, etc. TIA, g2

Ludlow Guitars, down from Katz deli, have a handful. That's where I bought my Fender Nohea. Sam Ash have a Cordoba and a bunch of Lanikai junk and Luna cheapies (I bought a Luna Honu Soprano there, which I love, and they price matched GC and dropped the price by $ 20). There's a GC on 14th and there's East Village Music Store that stock Mainland, Pono, Eddy Finnnnnnngh and Eleuke (well, that's what it says on the SITE, anyway).

I'd take a look in the first and last that I mentioned, then get yourself a cab up to the corner of 44th & 9th at about 6PM and spend the night in Reunion Bar. Great music & atmosphere once it gets warmed up, lovely staff and a nice selection of Gin (if they've restocked since my wife & I were there in May). We stayed at the Intercontinental at the east end of that block and spent many a night in Reunion (I think...it all starts to get hazy after a dozen big G&T's)

Quick note on East Village Music Store, pay close attention to their strange opening hours.

Last edited:
Thanks folks, Pub recommendations would certainly be welcome, especially if there is traditional music (USA). I'll be at Church and Fulton in the Financial district. cheers, g2

High-end ukuleles in NYC are a rare commodity. I'm in Manhattan 1-2 times a week and the only place I can recommend for any kind of selection is Matt Umanov's. Had a few Martin's, Kamakas, and some vintage (Gibson, Martin, Kumalae and Kamaka) stuff. Even then, pretty slim selection.

I have not been to Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island, but based on their website they have a few Kamakas, a Collings, Martin, and Flukes.

And yes, East Village Music has odd hours. Make sure you call even if you go during when they say they're open. And ask about what they have... the website isn't always up-to-date. I've purchased a couple of ukes from them without problem before, but won't bother checking anymore because a couple of trips I've called and then made the trip to the store only to find the doors locked. I was hoping to check out the used Kamaka Soprano Deluxe they had on the website.

If you're a guitar player too, for fun check out Rudy's Music in Soho. Beautiful store. They had a number of Flukes in the acoustic room last week. At least you quell your 4-string jones.

Wow, does the lack of response really indicate that there's so little ukulele going on in NYC?????

Wow, does the lack of response really indicate that there's so little ukulele going on in NYC?????

Mandarb, bdukes and myself have covered everything, I think. I did a LOT of research and a lot of emails were exchanged between myself and anyone selling Ukes in NY before I went. If there's anyone else selling them, they probably aren't worth a visit.

Thanks again, I'm not really looking to buy another uke (god forbid, N>10) but I always like to try other ukes or listen to folks play in pubs. I'll check out Umanov and Ludlow's and Reunion. cheers, mates

Mandarb, bdukes and myself have covered everything, I think. I did a LOT of research and a lot of emails were exchanged between myself and anyone selling Ukes in NY before I went. If there's anyone else selling them, they probably aren't worth a visit.

Yeah - I tried to help. I am not from New York but I looked up some stores that I knew were in NY and posted them. Oh well....

Thanks for your efforts Mandarb, I'm just shocked that there's not more possibilities. cheers, g2

Yup. I live in NYC and there isnt a lot of good uke action here. You'd think with 11 million people there would be a market...

Sam Ash has a lot of ukes, but they are low end and some mid range. I think the best spot is Mandolin Brothers in Staten island. They have some K brands and vintage martins. I got my Kamaka concert there and its a great place. That said, its not in Manhatten, but its the best spot in NYC for checking out ukes IMHO.

Maybe the uke isn't a really good fit for the NY scene?

Thanks for all the suggestions, did wander into Ludlow guitar when I was on the LES but as mentioned they just had a few Fender ukes mostly low end. Didn't get out to SI, boy what a disappointing situation. ciao, g

Top Bottom