low G / High G- which one to gig with???

dwilken

Reaction score
ok,for you been around the block uke guru's. i thought it would be cool when we gig for me to play a soprano uke i have when we play buffet's volcano song. (crowd loves it) . i want to do more uke, so when i'm watching youtube i notice lots of folks use a low G, like on the wind cries mary, which i'd like to add to the play list.
so my question is, is if common to use that low G tuning, and should i consider it. and if so, are there special strings??? i've usually been a traditionalist when i get involved with things, so...... just looking for advice and opinions. Dave in ohio

I always have two instruments for performing. One high G and one low G. Always. There's almost nothing you can't play with a high G, but some things I prefer to play with low G.

You need to define traditional.
Many players Ohta San, Herb Jr., Iz, Jake play low g.
It is totally personal preference. If you need melody notes below middle C, you need low g, else it is your choice.

I prefer high G over low G, but only because I've been using that setup for a fairly long time. That "traditional" sound, like the ones you hear on Hawaii 5-0, Lilo and Stitch, and other Hawaiian stereotypes comes from high G ukuleles (I know, because I was born and raised in Hawaii lol). But, a lot of players are starting to favor low G setups because of that increased range of notes.

So, if you want to make the crowd happy and get that kanakapila atmosphere, go for high G. If you want your strums to sound more fuller and don't mind giving up some of that Hawaiian vibe, then go for low G.

I was playing along with the guys on Saturday morning, just noodling along and my friend Phil played some clever little riff and quietly said, 'One of the pleasures of low G'. Low and high are just fine with me.

Ukes are small. I usually bring a Low G concert and a High G Soprano. I like to fingerpick. For melody and fingerpicking I prefer Low G. For chord melodies I prefer high G. For just strumming it doesn't matter.

All my tenors are in low G (except the 8 string, which is in both) and my soprano is high. I like the sound better.

I like em both - depending on what I am playing. For ballads, or melody picking the low G just works better for me. For 1920s-1930s songs or traditional "Hollywood Hawain" high G sounds better.

Top Bottom