Getting uke sound into computer.

electrauke

Reaction score
I really need to find out how to get the sound of a ukulele into a computer so I can play it in a sound file. Please do not refer to any video because I am temporarily on slow internet.

There are lots of options. For a quick and dirty take I record straight into the mic in the computer (the one that gets used for Skype etc)

Next alternative (if your pc has a sound card with a line in, is to either connect a mic to that, or if not there are lots of USB microphones about too (google snowball mic)

More professional setup would involve a dedicated audio sound card, and the uke going through an external amp and mixer into that.

In all cases though, for software I'd recommend audacity - its a free download and allows you to record multi tracks

I solicited advice on this subject from a great Uke player and professional sound engineer, David Egan, who recommended the simple approach of plugging a USB mic into my computer and using a software program such as Garage Band, or Band In a Box, to record, save, copy to disk, etc. I got a nice MXL mic from Full Compass on-line and everything works great. Good luck with your first CD.

USB is certainly easy, but I've never been totally impressed by latency delays and compression. Nothing beats a direct line in to a quality sound card.

USB is certainly easy, but I've never been totally impressed by latency delays and compression. Nothing beats a direct line in to a quality sound card.

^^^This, I couldn't agree more.

I'm currently playing around with a small condenser mic inside the Uke plugged into a Steelseries 7.1 USB soundcard, running through Guitar Rig 5, then out into my old Teac Hi-Fi with beefy sub-woofer.

No noticeable latency.

I just got the Apogee JAM for recording into garage band on my ipad, but it comes with a usb adapter too. I'm impressed so far - the sound quality is very clear. However, you need a pickup to use that option.

I'm currently playing around with a small condenser mic inside the Uke plugged into a Steelseries 7.1 USB soundcard, running through Guitar Rig 5, then out into my old Teac Hi-Fi with beefy sub-woofer.

No noticeable latency.
Whaaaaaat!!!! Help!:eek:

Just bought a webcam with built-in mike. This is my starting point.... and probable ending point. Sub-woofer? My old labrador loved the water.....

I use an Edirol R09 recorder then transfer to the computer and edit with Audacity. A Zoom recorder, H1 or H2 would do just as well and are a little cheaper. The H1 is quite a lot cheaper actually. All have pretty decent built in mics.

Whaaaaaat!!!! Help!:eek:

Just bought a webcam with built-in mike. This is my starting point.... and probable ending point. Sub-woofer? My old labrador loved the water.....

LOL
A subwoofer is a low-frequency speaker.

It appears Mr. Kahuna likes to rattle the windows.

Originally Posted by barefootgypsy
Whaaaaaat!!!! Help!

LOL
A subwoofer is a low-frequency speaker.

It appears Mr. Kahuna likes to rattle the windows.
I think a low-frequency speaker is a husband with brains.

Last edited:
Actually, I like to rattle the neighbours windows. As soon as I get a semi or solid body Uke I'm digging out the Marshalls and working on a Uke version of Bawitdaba.

Actually, I like to rattle the neighbours windows. As soon as I get a semi or solid body Uke I'm digging out the Marshalls and working on a Uke version of Bawitdaba.

Can't wait to hear it.

Although I'm a bit far away for even the marshall's to carry it that far ;)

Top Bottom