Odd strumming question

Reegs981

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know this sounds kind of weird. I restrung my tenor ukulele for the first time with nygut strings. Before this i had only used the strings that came on the uke. Well when i did it and turned the pegs the g string peg i accidentally strung it from bottom to top on the peg and the other three bottom to up.

I played with it and it sounded fine but after a while I decided to fix it just because of how it looked. After i fixed it though the up strum sounds wrong. the down strum sounds fine and it's correctly tuned (i used re-entrant).

If anyone has any clue as to the issue i would appreciate some help.

Cheers!

That's a strange one. Direction of strum should have no impact really. In what way does it sound wrong - tuning, tone, buzzes?

If it's the tuning, have you checked it with an electronic tuner?

Yes i did use an electric tuner so i know the strings are all tuned fine. It just gives me a really tinny sound. But doesn't happen on the down strum.

Maybe you could post a video of what you are doing?

In the meantime - try to make sure that your fretting hand is fretting the notes cleanly. Remember - depending on how/where you strum it is going to affect the sound (i.e. flesh vs. nail, closer to bridge vs. closer to nut). BTW - did you check that your uke is strung similiar to the pic I posted. Good luck.

Any chance that you are hitting this string with a nail on the upstrum, but not with the down?

I strung it back to how i had it first. So the g string is strung wrong but it sounds better now. I'm not sure what affecting it but I guess it works.

Maybe it's tuning machine related? Wrapping bottom to top adds more torque than top to bottom. Maybe the extra tension is keeping it from rattling or whatever it's doing when it's wound the other way.

Shouldn't have any difference whether you strum up or down ..how long have you played??
maybe it is technique..do you have fingernails...

Top Bottom