A uke handcrafted by MGM

Haha, I wonder what MGM stands for.

And late 60s? Was Tangi making ukuleles all the way back then?

Ummm ... where do you get the idea that this was "handcrafted" by MGM? It may be, but it's clearly a Tangi, and the seller claims it is at least 45 years old. Somehow, unless MGM was building ukes in his pre-adolescence, or is really named Tangi, I doubt this is "handcrafted" by him. Quite possibly MGM did the setup, which means it will play as good as it possibly can, but that's really not the same as handcrafted.

Ummm ... where do you get the idea that this was "handcrafted" by MGM? SNIP ...

Maybe because the label in picture #4 says "Handcrafted by M.G.M"? But, as others pointed out... It appears to be a Tangi & possibly our beloved bro, MGM had something to do w/it. I'm sure he'll chime in to this thread eventually.

Mahalo

The label leads me to believe it was made in Vietnam by someone with the initials MGM and sold by a company called Tangi?

This ukulele confuses me.

Maybe because the label in picture #4 says "Handcrafted by M.G.M"? But, as others pointed out... It appears to be a Tangi & possibly our beloved bro, MGM had something to do w/it. I'm sure he'll chime in to this thread eventually.

Mahalo

Ahhhh! I see that now.

Call me a cynic, but I think that maybe the M.G.M on the label refers to something other than the MGM we all know from here.

This uke is from the 90'. I never saw any uke from the 60'with this shape. The MGM inside would be "My Generous Mind". ;)

Mahalo

Actually, I think the M.G.M is probably somebody other than our beloved hero. As far as I know "our" MGM never worked in a sweatshop in Vietnam... :)

John

from http://tangiukulele.com/About_Us.html

Tangi Ukulele (a.k.a. Tangi Ukuleles) was started in 1993 by Tangi Tully with the help of his father James (Jim)Tully. Jim, who had been retired from State Department work in South East Asia, was spending a lot of time in Vietnam and Thailand. Having the knowledge that the US embargo against Vietnam would soon be lifted, Jim thought it would be a good idea to set up a facility there to take advantage of premium hardwoods and other quality resources. The rest is history.

Although it goes on to say that the Tangi facility in Vietnam has closed, this could be a Tangi ukulele from the 90's produced there..... still doesn't answer the MGM question.

Or it could just be another disreputable eBay listing trying to cash in on well known folks in the ukulele community....

Okay okay....No I did not make this ukulele...This is a Tangi probably from the 90's as it has the label Tulley used when he first started bringing in his ukes from Vietnam.. As for the MGM...I will ask him when i get a chance

Top Bottom