Restringin' The Dolphin

mangorockfish

Reaction score
It's about time to restring my "travel uke", the Dolphin. After I got it, I restrung it with Aquilas and they have been great, BUT I think I want to try something else this time. What are you other Dolphin users using? In your suggestions, be specific, if you suggest SouthCoast, which ones, etc. Don't know what I'm really looking for, just something different. Thanks.

I have one strung w/Fremont blacklines - like them a lot on the Dolphin.

I have done a few with Orca's and been happy.
Very similar to the Blacklines.
I have also done a few of my loaner/teaching Dolphins with flourocarbon fishing leader.

My Dolphin has been strung with Worth Browns for over a year
and I prefer the sound to that from Aquilas on this particular uke

I use Martin M600 Clear Flourocarbons, because my local music store stocks them, and they sound pretty good on the Dolphin.

Well, I put Ko'olau Golds on my Dolphin the night before last (okay, a little behind schedule -- this is only my second time stringing my 'uke and I need to set aside a good bit of time!). I've been trying to take Ken Middleton's advice and not tug on them to stretch them, just to play and let the strings settle. So yesterday I played for a few hours and they seem to be holding their intonation pretty well.

I really like them! They have a very warm sound and they feel nice. I wanted to try something warmer to see how the sound fits with my playing style (such as it is) and my voice, which is soft, and so far I'm pleased with the sound. Definitely different from the Aquilas.

I ordered these for a friend to bring back from the US right before Ken Middleton introduced his Living Water strings, and by then they were already on their way to me. I think I will try Living Water next. I have a feeling I am going to enjoy experimenting with strings! So far the two I've tried are very different but I've enjoyed both. We won't count the ones the Dolphin came with, okay?

I hope this information is useful for someone! I'd love to know what others are trying and what results you're getting!

I have done a few with Orca's and been happy.
Very similar to the Blacklines.
I have also done a few of my loaner/teaching Dolphins with flourocarbon fishing leader.

That's a very provocative notion SailingUke. What are the specs/line test of the leader? It sounds like a great science project during the long winters here.

Just picked up a Dolphin myself. I'm taking notes.

Top Bottom