Get a chord poster!

UkeGottaLoveIt

Reaction score
One of the biggest things that took my ukulele playing to the next level is buying a chord chart.

I procrastinated on this mainly because I am a cheapo and felt like I shouldn't pay for one when I can look them up online for free. After getting one I realized a few things. First of all I am a visual learner, so I feel like looking at the chords on the wall enabled me to learn them twice as fast as I would have if I had been staring at a computer screen. Secondly, it really helped with my understanding of music theory. The Ukulele is my first instrument, so as I was first learning to play, I was learning music theory as well. Looking at a chord chart helped me to connect the dots because the visual layout of the chord families helps you understand how the individual chords are related to each other. Last but not least hanging the chord poster on my wall got me really stoked on playing the uke! I know it sounds weird but something as simple as hanging the chord chart on your wall and walking by it everyday will remind you to practice more often! Bottom line: If you want your skills to skyrocket, a uke chord chart is your will be your jet engine.

Here is one of my favorite posters>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ukulele-Chord-Chart-Poster-Balsa-Walnut-Texture-/330759734872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d02d10658#ht_500wt_1136

Thanks guys, I hope this helps!

One of the biggest things that took my ukulele playing to the next level is buying a chord chart.

I procrastinated on this mainly because I am a cheapo and felt like I shouldn't pay for one when I can look them up online for free. After getting one I realized a few things. First of all I am a visual learner, so I feel like looking at the chords on the wall enabled me to learn them twice as fast as I would have if I had been staring at a computer screen. Secondly, it really helped with my understanding of music theory. The Ukulele is my first instrument, so as I was first learning to play, I was learning music theory as well. Looking at a chord chart helped me to connect the dots because the visual layout of the chord families helps you understand how the individual chords are related to each other. Last but not least hanging the chord poster on my wall got me really stoked on playing the uke! I know it sounds weird but something as simple as hanging the chord chart on your wall and walking by it everyday will remind you to practice more often! Bottom line: If you want your skills to skyrocket, a uke chord chart is your will be your jet engine.

Here is one of my favorite posters>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ukulele-Chord-Chart-Poster-Balsa-Walnut-Texture-/330759734872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d02d10658#ht_500wt_1136

Thanks guys, I hope this helps!

it would be one of your favourite poster you are the one selling it.

Thanks for the tip Philra66. I didn't realize that till I checked out where it had been posted before by the OP. Seems a little sneaky to me. Count me out now on this one should have just bumped his old thread.

After all the advice that he had for free in his original post, and he tries to pull this stunt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one from another UU user..... you can buy it on nice laminated card stock, get it as a poster, or download and print a FREE pdf. I gave him a little help (very little, to be honest) when he was putting it together, and he sent me two of the folding charts for free. I passed one on to another beginning uker and kept the other - it's a great reference.....

http://www.ukechordchart.com/

EDIT- I don't know the person that made the chart I linked to - I responded in a thread he started asking for advice some time ago and ended up exchanging a few e-mails with my impressions and recommendations. I can't even remember who it was.... but it is a great little chart, with a lot of practical information.....

SECOND EDIT - okay, I had to do a search to find out who made it, and it turns out I DO know the person.... it's ukemunga/ Fred. There was enough of a gap between the chart-related correspondence and actually getting to know Fred and hanging out with him at UWC that I didn't realize they were the same person. I feel like I've been doing a lot of typing for a thread started by a nefarious poster peddler.

Last edited:
I've moved it to the Videos & Links forum where it should be.

I noticed as well that this n00b has four total posts, three begging for help then one peddling his poster.

Look, I'm all for people out there making a buck, but when they try and pillage the very folks who help them, it's just not right. Especially when they are so shameless and brazen about trying to take advantage of this place.

Good luck to the OP, because he may have a hard time getting anyone here to not look at him as anything but an annoying prig.

Kahuna, let's be a civil, no reason for that kind of reply and the bashing is unnecessary. I've edited your post.

As a wall poster I think it's kinda cool looking. The background seems too busy, though, for practicing with.

The first time I saw the post I thought it smelled a bit too much like spam left out in the sun for too long...

Nice to know my BS-detector is still functional!

Why is it that everybody that wants to make a buck seems to think the best way to start is by insulting the intelligence of his or her prospective customer base? This looks like the second time in as many weeks that we've seen pretty egregious examples of this attitude...

Sigh...the uke has become too popular, folks, the aloha is dieing... Oh, and by the way, if you're expecting to learn any theory from that particular chart...don't hold your breath...

John

Last edited:
I've seen several times on here in the year I've been here some have tried this and UU members bust them every time. You would think they would learn not to mess with the ukulele players.

What bothers me is that the OP has made exactly four posts here so far, and every one of them has been about his "product." He asks for help refining it, then posts it's available like he's suddenly "discovered" something wonderful we all need, without so much as a disclaimer that he is the seller. Like no one would notice? Please, OP, we're not that naive.

Sure, we have vendors here, like hoosierhiver (Mainland), UkeRepublic, Mim and even Lori (UkeLeash). Does their participation at UU help their sales? Undoubtedly.

But the big difference is that these sellers are all valued contributors to the UU community who have earned our trust and who aren't just here to advertise.

Have the laminated folding chord chart mentioned earlier in this thread by that spiderman guy. It is small enough to take along, is loaded with useful chord information and easy on the eyes. If you need a chord chart get the folding one. No connection with either of these sellers...really...

Here's one from another UU user..... you can buy it on nice laminated card stock, get it as a poster, or download and print a FREE pdf. I gave him a little help (very little, to be honest) when he was putting it together, and he sent me two of the folding charts for free. I passed one on to another beginning uker and kept the other - it's a great reference.....

http://www.ukechordchart.com/

EDIT- I don't know the person that made the chart I linked to - I responded in a thread he started asking for advice some time ago and ended up exchanging a few e-mails with my impressions and recommendations. I can't even remember who it was.... but it is a great little chart, with a lot of practical information.....

SECOND EDIT - okay, I had to do a search to find out who made it, and it turns out I DO know the person.... it's ukemunga/ Fred. There was enough of a gap between the chart-related correspondence and actually getting to know Fred and hanging out with him at UWC that I didn't realize they were the same person. I feel like I've been doing a lot of typing for a thread started by a nefarious poster peddler.

Hey thanks for that. 23skidoo

Hey Bill!

Thanks for the kind mention and all that typing. Just found the post. I'm really just trying to be helpful with the chart... and make a buck. But at that price that's about all I'm making!

I'm just happy I found the uke. And everyone here!

Fred

EDIT: I intended to post this URL to a page on the site that isn't really public yet because it's incomplete - but what the hey. It's a little pictorial tribute to some great folks I met at UWC 2012 and it's a bit undone. Apologies to any and everyone I had the pleasure to meet who isn't on the page... all 300+ of you...

And if YOU are on there, please help me out with any unknown location or bad link... especially yours. I think I just invented some new marketiing strategy!

:cheers:
[PBR Mike]

http://www.ukechordchart.com/UWC_2012/UWC_2012.html

Last edited:
Fred, your chart is coming in handy for me today trying to learn a new song. You rock and your design is totally clear and easy to read.

Everyone should buy Fred's!
(Unsolicited endorsement)

Top Bottom