new uke strings

just bought a new tenor uke but it has black strings are these any good?

Maybe.... what uke? From where? Might be GHS strings which probably aren't the best choice or they could be Fremont Blacklines that are really nice.

First off, the make of your ukulele . . . strings could be be Hilo or GHS, tho I could be wrong. Hilo strings aren't bad and GHS has garnered a rep for just being cheap strings. That said, there are those who like em and those who don't. At one time GHS was the stock string for Kala & Lanikai while Hilo was stock on a lot of Hawaiian made instruments. IMO, both strings are playable more so the Hilo strings. Try them out, and if you don't like the tone, feel and playability, change em.

Strings come in brands, not colours! That said, full black strings may be a sign of some cheap ones, but could be good ones too. What uke is it?

Its a Makala mkt

Yeah, then probably not. Get a set of Aquila Nylguts, and maybe the new Red Low-G, if you want to try low-G. The Aquilas will vastly improve the tone of your uke. Happy Strummin'!

Yeah, then probably not. Get a set of Aquila Nylguts, and maybe the new Red Low-G, if you want to try low-G. The Aquilas will vastly improve the tone of your uke. Happy Strummin'!

:agree: In all likelihood, this will do the trick, along with probably several other brands of flourocarbons. If you feel crafty, upgrade the tuners, add bone nut and saddle, and that Makala will compete with some more expensive ukes. Many owners think their Makala already does, this is just what I'd do to it. It's thin laminate and I have wondered if it came out of the factory that makes Makai. Good luck

If you feel crafty, upgrade the tuners, add bone nut and saddle
Wouldn't that be a bit of an overkill? Sure, not for a DYI addict - but for a uke beginner?

I'd say some decent strings will do enough miracle, Aquila Nylgut seem to fit to the laminates pretty good. Alternatively you could try Aurora (which are basically dyed Aquila Nylgut strings, available in lots of funny colors) or the clear Living Water fluorocarbons (unwound Tenor low g available). This will give your sound a huge boost for little money.

And once your skills grow, you'll soon buy another (better) uke anyway ;)

Hi George!

The way to find out if the strings are good to play them for a few weeks. If they sound and feel good to you, then they're good strings.

The black nylon strings that came with my wife's Makala still sound and feel great to her (and me) after a year of use. They're great strings.

Top Bottom