First uke jam

Waterguy

UU+
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be participating in my first ever uke jam. I've been playing since late June this year, and I am not a former guitar player. I mention this only because so many of those seem to play this instrument at a fairly high level as soon as they pick it up.

I am well aware that there is a huge difference between sitting alone and playing songs and playing songs with others. I feel like I am about to jump into the deep end of the swimming pool for the first time.

This post might belong in the beginner section but I am putting it here because I know I am not alone in the whole not having experience playing with other people thing.

Wish me luck UU, send me some of that positive mojo I see here so often. I'll let you know how it went.:music:

If you're worried that everyone will be "better" than you, stop right now.

The very best way to get better is to play with folks who're ahead of you. The best thing that ever happened to me (musically speaking) was playing regularly with my friend Thaddeus. Over the last four years I've learned more (and gotten better as a result) than in all the decades before (I've been playing something, and then several somethings, since I was 5 and I'm 50 now).

The other uke-phreaks there will be full of Aloha and happy to help you however they can. Relax and enjoy! You're going to have a great time.

First off I want to say thanks for the good luck and reasurance all.

OK, I just now got back and I am really keyed up in a good way. We played a lot of songs. Some simple and some that were pretty tough. I actualy have a stack of new papers with all the songs on them because so many people brought multiple copies of songs to play. I was pretty happy with the way I played. There were songs I could not really handle because they had chords I had never played before and there was no practice run, just pass out the music and play but it was still lots of fun.

The jam is a regular thing held by my teacher but only a handful of the poeple there were students of his. He has a band called Uncle Zac and the Ukualiens and most of them were there. The band did a couple of numbers on there own which was really nice. Unfortunatly I am awful with names or I would list them here but in any case it was great hearing my teacher perform instead of teach.

The other very cool part of the jam is that my teacher is a good friend of Jim Beloff and he and his wife were both there, so I got to play with Jumpin Jim.

Everyone was really nice and happy to show anyone who was interested tricks and techniques.

All in all the best time I have had in quite a long time and I am really looking forward to the next one. I will try and remember to bring a camera with me for the next one but for the first I was a little nervous and just wanted to bring my uke.

Top Bottom