Any New Love For Big Island Ukes?

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Been away for quite sometime and just returned a few days ago. Since my return, I've noticed some K-brands in the Marketplace and seems like a lot of members receiving/received customs. Just before my sabatical, I purchased a Big Island Limited Edition tenor and have really enjoyed it and was wondering if anyone else has joined the Big Island family and what is your opinion?

Aloha Fish -

I am not a Big Island owner, but I have played one of their solid koa tenors in a store and was really impressed with it. From what I can tell, Big Island has a lot in common with aNueNue, in that they are really well made and sweet-sounding ukes, but with a limited ownership base. I guess a big part of that is that at their price point, they have to basically compete with Hawaiian K's, and being Asian made, that can be a hard sell. Once you get past the $400 range, the folks who can afford the ukes likely will go for the one's with the history, reputation, and tradition.

That being said, there is nothing about BI that makes it stand any lower. Congrats on your uke. You got a really good one!

I don't know how long you've been away. I bought a Big Island Honu Tradition tenor from someone here at UU. It was my first solid koa ukulele, an upgrade from my Kala solid acacia tenor, and I love it. I've since bought a Kamaka HF-3 and a Mya-Moe myrtle tradition, so my BI doesn't get played as much anymore, but I still love it and remember to play it from time to time. I sometimes think of it as my UAS "gateway" uke.

Top Bottom