Cordoba ran out of "Portugese koa !"

Bill Mc

Reaction score
All the "k" series ukuleles at Musician's Friend are now advertised as "acacia." Or is this finally long-awaited truth in advertising ?

All the "k" series ukuleles at Musician's Friend are now advertised as "acacia." Or is this finally long-awaited truth in advertising ?

Kala? Have always been advertised as acacia. Don't understand

Perhaps it was always a case of "acacia identity"....

I'd like to think that somehow Cordoba caught enough crap off people for their shady descriptions to where they've decided to finally just be honest with their materials.

Of course, it helps that the honesty of other brands (i.e. Kala, KPK, etc) who use acacia and call it acacia has made it so acacia is no longer a four letter word.

I'm just a cynic, though.

Of course, it helps that the honesty of other brands (i.e. Kala, KPK, etc) who use acacia and call it acacia has made it so acacia is no longer a four letter word.

Acacia is a six letter word.

Bought time. I'll still not but one b/c I brought this issue up in an email and phone call back in 2006.

Actually Acacia is a three letter word ....A C I and the first two are repeated. One of the first companies to use Acacia melanoxylon was Lehua. The line was designed by Bob Gleason of Pegasus fame. The similarities of the first Cordoba ukes was more than coincidental. The first I saw it called Portugese koa was a Bounty Music ad. When I called them to discuss the deception, they agreed that the material they were provided was untrue. They immediately changed their web site information. They also called me back and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. Now that's a standard of honesty to respect and accept as part of one's own mission statement. If they can so blatantly practice deceit and deception on what we can see, what are they doing where it is not visibly evident ? There are over 180 species of the Genus Acacia. To some from a natural sciences background(whether formally or informally does not matter) things like this matter. There are a couple other importer-makers who practice deception in describing their products. Caveat emptor Let the buyer beware.

The same is becoming increasing common concerning mahogany. Historically the mahogany was from Central America but many makers are using the term 'African Mahogany' as the traditional species is getting harder to come by.

Actually Acacia is a three letter word ....A C I and the first two are repeated. One of the first companies to use Acacia melanoxylon was Lehua. The line was designed by Bob Gleason of Pegasus fame. The similarities of the first Cordoba ukes was more than coincidental. The first I saw it called Portugese koa was a Bounty Music ad. When I called them to discuss the deception, they agreed that the material they were provided was untrue. They immediately changed their web site information. They also called me back and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. Now that's a standard of honesty to respect and accept as part of one's own mission statement. If they can so blatantly practice deceit and deception on what we can see, what are they doing where it is not visibly evident ? There are over 180 species of the Genus Acacia. To some from a natural sciences background(whether formally or informally does not matter) things like this matter. There are a couple other importer-makers who practice deception in describing their products. Caveat emptor Let the buyer beware.

When did you contact them? In my opinion it took them over 6 years to correct their advertisement fraud.

Kala has a uke with a Cedar top that originally was listed as having Koa back and sides...
...now they say Acacia.
I wonder if they actually changed the wood or just changed the name. The two ukes look exactly the same (don't know if they have different model numbers).
BTW I own the one sold as "Acacia" & Cedar, and it sound absolutely Fantastic.

Top Bottom