Who writes with their Uke?

jrasche2003

Reaction score
I am just curious how many of you write songs with your Ukulele?

Anyone write with it to get an idea then pass it on to a band to interpret?

Are guitar players able to take uke ideas and use them easily?

What genre writers are out there? I primarily like to write for rock..

:)

Q. Who writes with their Uke?

A. I usually use a pen or a pencil.

I am just curious how many of you write songs with your Ukulele?

Anyone write with it to get an idea then pass it on to a band to interpret?

Are guitar players able to take uke ideas and use them easily?

What genre writers are out there? I primarily like to write for rock..

:)

Here's a youtube playlist of my originals, all composed on ukulele. Not sure what genre you'd call it, but probably somewhat jazz inflected.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLADDF971DA6F18C77&feature=view_all

Guilty as charged. I don't write songs often, when I do they usually end up in some form of blues. :)

Awesome!! You just gave me more reason to buy a Ukeulele!

I play piano, and violin, and I am a singer. I can usually come up with a great vocal melody and a hook. And I try to write on the keys, but for some reason it doesn't come very easy to me.. I don't get that.. but it just doesn't. Especially rock.. I tend to write alot of ballads on keys.. it's quite annoying since I am in a rock band! LOL!

So I want to do more and thought about picking up guitar, but my hands are small and it's difficult. Met a UU member at Guitar Center in Edina this past weekend that said, start with Uke!

Since then I have been obsessed and I WILL be purchasing a Uke by this weekend.

I am so excited for the possibilities! I want to be able to write a song then bring it to the band and our guitar player to put it in big band sound. I can't wait!

Since then I have been obsessed and I WILL be purchasing a Uke by this weekend.

I am so excited for the possibilities! I want to be able to write a song then bring it to the band and our guitar player to put it in big band sound. I can't wait!

Hooray - another convert! My best advice is: do your homework. Preferably play a few in person. Solid wood will sound better than a laminate, and make sure you get a set-up. Read, read, read everything you can on this forum. Good luck!

Q. Who writes with their Uke?

A. I usually use a pen or a pencil.
da*n you, Rafe! I was gonna say that.

I'm not a sophisticated enough player to write my own songs.

I've written lots of songs on my uke. When I had a working keyboard, I also wrote on keyboard. And a lot of the time I get the whole song in my head first, and then sit with the uke or keyboard to figure out what the chords would be. A lot of the songs written on keyboard sound especially good when played on uke, because I'll use chords and progressions I wouldn't have thought to use on a uke. I write what I think of as rock.

I think Jake put it best that was listed in this article: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-four-stringed-wonder/Content?oid=14029587

And what about more accomplished pop and rock musicians? Why do they like to compose on the ukulele? Shimabukuro said that because of its stripped-down structure, composers don't get lost in flourishes and fancy riffs. "Everything becomes very simple," he said, "so you begin to focus on your melody... you start to choose your notes wisely."

I used to write most songs on the Guitar. But I stagnated recently and new stuff was few and far between. This last month since spending more time with my uke(s) I've written six crackers ;-).

I never wrote a song when I played guitar. Since starting the uke I have finished one song and have pieces of a few others I'm messing with. Just using basic chords sequences with strumming and not worrying about intricate guitar parts helped me out. Also a little $5 rhyming dictionary works wonders.

Hooray - another convert! My best advice is: do your homework. Preferably play a few in person. Solid wood will sound better than a laminate, and make sure you get a set-up. Read, read, read everything you can on this forum. Good luck!

I did it.. I bit the bullet and I have my first Ukulele! I settled for the Lanikai LU-21 after playing a Mahalo Diamond, and a Lanikai Lu-11. I fell in love the LU-21.

Now.. where do I start? LOL

Where to start?
Well, I think most here would agree that "Uncle Rods Boot Camp" is the perfect place.
You'll find the link here on the forum and its free! Work your way through the exercises
methodically and you'll have given yourself a great foundation.
Cheers
Gary

I've never written with my uke, either, but Jake wrote on it.

I did it.. I bit the bullet and I have my first Ukulele! I settled for the Lanikai LU-21 after playing a Mahalo Diamond, and a Lanikai Lu-11. I fell in love the LU-21.

Now.. where do I start? LOL

Congrats!
Try starting with the C chord. It's the easiest one!

Top Bottom