PDA

View Full Version : Uke Lesson 11 - Drop Baby, Drop

anaka
11-01-2008, 01:25 AM
It's the first of the month! And that means: a brand new episode of UKE LESSONS. This time Aldrine breaks down all you need to know to jam the song "Drop Baby, Drop" with anyone who wants to play it with you!

Check it out here: Uke Lesson 11 - Drop Baby, Drop (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/11/01/uke-lesson-11-drop-baby-drop/)!!

Let us know what you think! Do you have any questions, comments, constructive criticism?? What can we do better, and how can we make playing the uke easier and awesomer for you?

Go ahead discussioners, start it up!

Poi Dog
11-01-2008, 02:14 AM
AWESOME! I've been waiting to learn the correct picking pattern for this! WOOHOO!

KoloheBoy
11-01-2008, 02:31 AM
It's the first of the month! And that means: a brand new episode of UKE LESSONS. This time Aldrine breaks down all you need to know to jam the song "Drop Baby, Drop" with anyone who wants to play it with you!

Check it out here: Uke Lesson 11 - Drop Baby, Drop (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/11/01/uke-lesson-11-drop-baby-drop/)!!

Let us know what you think! Do you have any questions, comments, constructive criticism?? What can we do better, and how can we make playing the uke easier and awesomer for you?

Go ahead discussioners, start it up!

i can now play it with confidence. :) but now....for our next lesson, we need aldrine to do the middle picking thats super fast. that would be GANGSTER if you guys could teach that. whether it be a live lesson or regular. mahaloz again UU for this lesson

Dominator
11-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I love the bloopers. They are great. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

BUGOY
11-01-2008, 08:10 AM
dude! arvin has got to SEE this! haha!

"We're REAL, thats what we got..we got GOATS!" :biglaugh:

AshleyB
11-01-2008, 12:26 PM
chunking!!! lmao

Nostalgic - reminds me of the 'toasty' from the MK series.

great lesson :D

Tim
11-01-2008, 01:14 PM
No..no...leave the chickens! Reminds me of home! I totally dig the picking lessons Aldrine.

OrangeUke
11-01-2008, 06:32 PM
haha! very nice lesson!

the way you said chunking was so funny!

and i agree in using that smooth voice...

Poi Dog
11-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I just finished the tabs for those who like to use them...

Drop Baby Drop
by Mana'o Company (Aldrine Guerrero Cover)
Tabs by Poi Dog

Chords
A, 2100
C#m, 6444
Bm, 4222
E7, 1202

Strum Pattern
Down-Chunk-Up, Up-Down

Opening Picking
A 0-0----0----------0h2-2-0----0-0----2P0--0--2p0--0--2p0--0-
E 0--0--0---2s4-4-4---------4------2------4-------4-------4--
C 1----1-----------------------------------------------------
G 2----------------------------------------------------------

A 0-0----0----------0h2-2--4-4--0-0----7s9--7----------------
E 0--0--0---2s4-4-4-----------------2----------7s9--7--5-4-5-
C 1----1-------------------------------4s6--4----------------
G 2----------------------------------------------------------

s = slide, h = hammer-on, p = pull-off

Lyrics:

My heart does the tango, with every little move you make

I love you like a mango, `cause we can make it everyday

I want you to drop baby, drop baby, drop, drop all your love on me

Drop baby, drop baby, drop, drop `cause I'm hungry

My nights would be so lonely, if ever you should choose to go

I'd live just like a zombie, with very little love to show

(Instrumental)

Who loves you pretty baby, who`s gonna help you through the night

Who loves you pretty mama, who`s always there to make it right

Who loves you, who loves you pretty baby,

Who`s gonna love you mama, baby drop

Aldrine Guerrero
11-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I just finished the tabs for those who like to use them...

Drop Baby Drop
by Mana'o Company (Aldrine Guerrero Cover)
Tabs by Poi Dog

Chords
A, 2100
C#m, 6444
Bm, 4222
E7, 1202

Strum Pattern
Down-Chunk-Up, Up-Down

Opening Picking
A 0-0----0----------h2-2-0----0-0----2P0--0--2p0--0--2p0--0-
E 0--0--0---2s4-4-4--------4------2------4-------4-------4--
C 1----1----------------------------------------------------
G 2---------------------------------------------------------

A 0-0----0----------h2-2--4-4--0-0----7s9--7----------------
E 0--0--0---2s4-4-4----------------2----------7s9--7--5-4-5-
C 1----1------------------------------4s6--4----------------
G 2---------------------------------------------------------

s = slide, h = hammer-on, p = pull-off

Lyrics:

My nights would be so lonely, if ever you should choose to go

I'd live just like a zombie, with very little love to show

(Instrumental)

Who loves you pretty baby, who`s gonna help you through the night

Who loves you pretty mama, who`s always there to make it right

Who loves you, who loves you pretty baby,

Who`s gonna love you mama, baby drop

Right on buddy! Thanks for this. :3

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-02-2008, 01:01 AM
i havnt watched it yet, ill watch it in 2 days. too busy, but by the looks of it people like it heaps and i like the picking aldrine comes up with - always sounds great :D

Poi Dog
11-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Right on buddy! Thanks for this. :3

Anytime! :bowdown:

:D

SeanKy671
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
This is was a GREAT video..
The intro aldrine does sounds almost exactly the way I played it.... but his is way better
haha i know that comment is a "DUH" waiting to happen

by the way, good job writing out the tabs jonny!!
I just wish we had a nice SOLO section written out for us :/

Daniel Davis
11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Hahaha, "our infamous CHUNK."

Dane
11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Who wrote this song?

Poi Dog
11-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Who wrote this song?

The original is from Eddy Grant, but it was remade by Mana'o Company.

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-02-2008, 07:19 PM
i think where u start talking like a nature show guy is funny :D in the outakes. shud have done it like that ! :)

Dane
11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Or like he's someone from National Public Radio.... "we have no emotion in our voices"

Does anyone have any original videos or sound files for this? Like from Eddy Grant or Mana'o Company?

Poi Dog
11-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Does anyone have any original videos or sound files for this? Like from Eddy Grant or Mana'o Company?

Here's the song from Mana'o Company on Youtube.

CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsLcnvnAt68)

And here's the ORIGINAL from Eddie Grant on Youtube.

CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3eF8FlyTIE)

Dane
11-03-2008, 08:00 AM
This is the first song I've attempted to sing with..... I have a tendency to put larger spaces between the mid parts of each section, like "my heart does the tango" then a bigger gap then i'd like before "with every little move you make". I don't know if its me waiting for a beat or what, but it makes me have to play the last chord really weird, slower, or extend it with a few strums. But I'm getting better, I didn't know I could actually sing either.......

Dane
11-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the vids man! I like eddie grants best

NukeDOC
11-03-2008, 08:23 AM
dude! arvin has got to SEE this! haha!

"We're REAL, thats what we got..we got GOATS!" :biglaugh:

just because youre my brother, that doesnt mean i cant hate you. because i do. ass.

deach
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
just because youre my brother, that doesnt mean i cant hate you. because i do. ass.

LOL. Great post!!!!

megdizzle
11-03-2008, 05:23 PM
i love the bloopers!

great vid UU crew!
keep it up guys!

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM

sounds like my bro's talking to each other.. :nana:

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
hey... where can i find the footage for the video use have displayed in the video?? its awesome!

thanks

anaka
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
hey... where can i find the footage for the video use have displayed in the video?? its awesome!

thanks

Thanks! That footage was actually shot in San Diego (after the seminars at Pacific Arts Dance Studio) when we were on tour earlier this year.

You can see it in "Day 4" of the Cali Tour Videos (the first video in the post): Cali Tour '08 Days 4-6! (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/10/11/tales-from-the-road-cali-tour-08-days-4-6/)

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-03-2008, 08:54 PM
ah yes... of course

jqrcaliman
11-03-2008, 09:40 PM
i'm so excited to learn this!! thanks so much for getting this lesson up.

i would also like to add myself to the list of people that wish u guys would also put something up of the sik mid solo part.:p

KoloheBoy
11-04-2008, 09:25 AM
i'm so excited to learn this!! Thanks so much for getting this lesson up.

I would also like to add myself to the list of people that wish u guys would also put something up of the sik mid solo part.:p

solo!solo!solo! :)

Dane
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I found that I was playing alot faster than I was trying to sing to it... but I'm doing better now, I still get confused with the second part though, pretty mama, pretty baby, those ones. I just can't get them to flow correctly.

hotnanas
11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
thanks guys, when it gets too late to work on the dirtbike tonight I am gonna get the picking down!

another reason why UU is the best.

POI d-o-double-g, thanks for the time spent on the tabs.

Poi Dog
11-05-2008, 12:46 PM
thanks guys, when it gets too late to work on the dirtbike tonight I am gonna get the picking down!

another reason why UU is the best.

POI d-o-double-g, thanks for the time spent on the tabs.

LOL - No problem!

On another note - I was working on my RC51 today as well! Time to change that oil... LOL

BTW - my son has been playin' that Kala I bought from you and has 'Drop Baby Drop' down now... guess I gottah spend some money on a good video camera to start posting more vids. :D

ukudele
12-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Im going to sing this song to my nene grel! hehe, thanks for the lesson. I always wanted to learn how to do the picking for this song. saw a few version online but they never sounded right. It's "the" song the started the uke for I. mango is good! pickled even better!

Hidden Character
04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I really hope im not doing something bad by bumping this thread, but im curious about a few things:

How did you guys manage to make the transition from the picking to the strumming?

And what are the notes for the instrumental, i can actually catch the first part since its so similar to the intro, but other than that, im lost.

LolaT
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi, I also have a question --is there an easier chord alternative to the C#m and the Dm chords? I'm just starting out and I can't quite get these without smooshing all the strings or not getting the ones I'm supposed to. Thanks.

seeso
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi, I also have a question --is there an easier chord alternative to the C#m and the Dm chords? I'm just starting out and I can't quite get these without smooshing all the strings or not getting the ones I'm supposed to. Thanks.

Take a look at this page:

http://www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele/index.html
(Make sure you choose the correct tuning at the top right.)

Maybe there are other ways that are easier for you to play. But don't stop working on the difficult chords, they'll come in handy.

LolaT
05-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Cool. Thanks.

Kilika
06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Aldrine--Thank you and the rest of the UU crew for making this tutorial! This song brings back some great memories for me.

Poi Dog--Thanks for the tabs and also for the info on the original artist. I knew that some of the lyrics from Drop were taken from the old song Who Loves You by the Four Seasons. But for all of these years, I had no idea that the entire song (Drop) was a remake of an Eddy Grant tune.

Thanks again!

ukulele2544
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Love that song! :D

dakineukulele
09-23-2009, 08:18 AM
hi!

wonderful tutorial/lesson for drop baby drop. its really fun to jam with other ppl on this song =D. my question is with regards to the picking pattern thats in the middle of the song. for example if you listen to the original recording, the picking pattern varies quite a bit from the one used in the beginning. the specific part i am referring to is right after the "i'd live like a zombie,with very little love to show" part. the picked notes , from what I hear, tend to jump in 3rds or 5ths. any idea how to pick those? thanks!

BobbyK
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I was just listening to the actual song by Manao & Co. and seem like some picking parts are missing from your lesson. Can you show us how to do the whole picking part? Or maybe show us a picking chart to pick it just like the actual song? I think I might be able to figure it out but just to be sure it would be nice to have a pro show us how.

Much mahalo's for any help!

RyRod
11-06-2010, 03:18 AM
from Tropical storm Hawaii.com It's pretty spot on and it's the one I learned it from.

(Solo)
A|0-0---------0---0-0h2-2-0---0-0-----------------------
E|0---0-----0---4-----------4---------5-----5-----5-----
C|1-------1-----------------------4/6---4/6---4/6---6-4-
G|2-----2-----------------------------------------------

A|----------4-5-6-7-6-5-4h5p4---4-5p4---4-------------------
E|----4-5-7--------------------7-------7---7--5-4-5-4----4-5-
C|4-6---------------------------------------------------6-----
G|----------------------------------------------------------

A|---------------------------
E|7b-7b-5-7-9-5-5-----5-7b-7-
C|----------------6-6--------
G|---------------------------

A|--7---5---4---12---11---9-7/9-7-5-4--7\5-4-5-7-2/4-4----------
E|5---5---5---5----------------------------------------5---5-7b-
C|-----------------9----9--------------------------------6------
G|--------------------------------------------------------------

A|------------
E|4-5---------
C|----6-4-2-1-
G|------------

Nickie
03-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I've never heard this song before. I tried in earnest to learn it, but it's too advance for me. Maybe in a few months... I tried backing up 2 singers yesterday, it was tricky to have them depend on me for the lead in and rhythm!

Vicki
02-05-2013, 03:53 PM
How do you put the parts together? When does the picking part comein? Can you please leave a video of the complete song the way you've taught it? I love the combination but not sure when to use what! xovm

Vicki
12-24-2013, 08:51 AM
So where is Drop Baby Drop? I logged on but no video! Xovm

QUOTE=anaka;71232]It's the first of the month! And that means: a brand new episode of UKE LESSONS. This time Aldrine breaks down all you need to know to jam the song "Drop Baby, Drop" with anyone who wants to play it with you!

Go ahead discussioners, start it up![/QUOTE]

mm stan
12-30-2013, 04:33 AM
What you neva ask Idakine808 Val, he he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqFXH1C3A8&list=PL3CB280F98E16E40C

hi!

wonderful tutorial/lesson for drop baby drop. its really fun to jam with other ppl on this song =D. my question is with regards to the picking pattern thats in the middle of the song. for example if you listen to the original recording, the picking pattern varies quite a bit from the one used in the beginning. the specific part i am referring to is right after the "i'd live like a zombie,with very little love to show" part. the picked notes , from what I hear, tend to jump in 3rds or 5ths. any idea how to pick those? thanks!