Best Low G strings for Spruce Top Tenor

shaylie214

Reaction score
I have a Makai MT70 Spruce Top Tenor and I am ready for some new strings. It is currently strung high G with Aquila strings. The strings sound alright, but they are too bright for me. I've heard a lot of people say that Worth Brown strings are mellower and pair well with a spruce top ukulele, so I was thinking of trying those. The thing is that I also want to try a low G with my new set of strings and I haven't really been able to find much information on the low G worth brown's. I've also read some good reviews on the Fremont Blackline strings and am wondering if they would be better for low G tuning. I play mostly fingerstyle, but I also want to have a good sound for strumming chords. I'm looking for a mellower sound and I'm hoping not to have sacrifice too much volume. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Can't say enough about the Southcoast G650 set. The G and C are both flat wound metals. Mellow and balanced. I play a Pono spruce over maple tenor.

i thought the Aquillas were too bright for my Lanikai ST spruce top tenor. I switched to Fremont Blacklines and it mellowed it out a lot. I am going to try Ken Middleton's new flourocarbons next.

2You might like the Fremont Blacks low G. I find the Browns a bit too soft for picking. I've been using Worth Clear Hard on my Kala acacia tenor and love 'em. I've only just bought Fremont Blacks and I'm starting to like 'em. Seems like a nice balance. I could be wrong but I find the Fremont Black, not as boomy and mellow as the Browns but seem a hair more mellow than Worth Clear. I don't have my old uke here to do a fair comparison. :p

I'm gonna give Ken Middleton's Living Water low G set a try when i get back to the mainland. :)

Thanks everyone.

2You might like the Fremont Blacks low G. I find the Browns a bit too soft for picking. I've been using Worth Clear Hard on my Kala acacia tenor and love 'em. I've only just bought Fremont Blacks and I'm starting to like 'em. Seems like a nice balance. I could be wrong but I find the Fremont Black, not as boomy and mellow as the Browns but seem a hair more mellow than Worth Clear. I don't have my old uke here to do a fair comparison. :p

I'm gonna give Ken Middleton's Living Water low G set a try when i get back to the mainland. :)

When you say that the Worth Browns are too soft for picking what exactly do you mean? Tone wise are the Fremont 's closer to the Brown or the Clears?
I've just recently come across the Living Water strings, but they're kind of new so there aren't enough reviews on them.

I know that Aquilas are about as bright as you can get so probably just about anything else would be an improvement. I don't know what I'd think of wound strings on a ukulele. I'm a bass player so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be too hard on my fingers, but it just seems kind of strange to me. I was leaning towards the Worth Browns with the low G, but now I guess I'll do a little more research.

I also had another question. My ukulele is strung for a high G string and there isn't enough room in the nut for a low G, so what do I need to do to fix that? I'm guessing I would probably need some sort of file, but I'm not sure what kind of file or how I should use it. I have a bone nut. Also if I file the nut to accommodate a low G would the string slide in the nut if I went back to a high G? I'm sorry that I have so many questions. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Southcoast G650's.................

I decided on the Fremont Blackline strings. Uke Republic doesn't have a low G set, so I had to buy the individual string. I got the high G set and purchased the low G string separately for just under $12 including shipping. This way actually works better because if I don't like the low G string I can just switch it out. Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom