Aquila's or Worth's on my laminate?

ajenecial

Reaction score
I had just replaced the old strings on my tenor laminate uke with aquilas and have had them on for about a week. The strings seem a little stiff and the sound isnt very satisfying for me. I was wondering if I should keep them on for a bit longer to allow them to settle a little more or should I go with Worth's strings instead?

I would like to know which Set of strings sound better on a laminate ook .I like my aquilas on my solid but I'm just not happy with them on my laminate.

Please help :(

I think it depends on your style of playing. In general I have found that Worth Clear strings are very nice for fingerpicking. Aquilas are nice for strumming. A week should be long enough to make a judgement for new strings, in my opinion. The recipe for the right strings for each uke is really trial and error. There are just too many variables.. wood, construction, size, playing style and genre, personal preferences, etc. You will probably have to try out several brands to see what is best. You might try and record each set, to have a record of how each one sounds. It won't be a perfect reproduction, but it might help remind you of the differences after you try 3 or 4 sets.
–Lori

I replaced Aquilas with Worth clears on my Makai laminate tenor and really like the difference, strumming and picking both. Note separation, clarity, bell like. But as Lori says, there are lots of variables and you'll only know what you like after you've tried a few.

Choice of strings is a personal choice but also take into consideration tonewood combo, build, playing style. IMO, it's an inexpensive upgrade and you may have to try several brands and possible combos to come up with something you like and pleasing to you ears. Good luck and have fun!

As others have said in many string question posts, string choice is totally subjective.
Strings are a fairly inexpensive modification to a uke. String choice is driven by sound, feel and in some cases appearance.
The general consensus is Aquila on laminates and Worth on solids.
I replaced Aquilas with clear flourocarbons on a laminate that I did not like the sound of. The uke came alive.
So, until you try you won't know.

I agree with what's said above. I have two laminate ukes. On one Aquilas really suit it well and they are fine. The other came with Aquilas but I found the tone harsh and I have just changed them for Worth Browns and it sounds a lot better. Not as harsh when strummed and a clear tone when plucked.

As has been said above, it's horses for courses.

It may just be your instrument that doesn't sound good to you.
IMO Worths sound dull on laminates, and the only ones that seem to work for me are Aquilla.
Possibly you are ready for a better uke?

Yeah

It may just be your instrument that doesn't sound good to you.
IMO Worths sound dull on laminates, and the only ones that seem to work for me are Aquilla.
Possibly you are ready for a better uke?

I was actually thinking the same thing, not to buy a new uke but that I don't like the sound. I started with a solid mahogany kanilea tenor and had played it for 2 years and i decided to pick up the laminate tenor. I had never realized or heard the difference between a solid and a laminate because i had never been exposed to one and all my friends rub their solid koa's in my face, and so I had never heard a laminate uke and at the time I was buying it, it did sound a little odd to me but i had already decide i was going to buy that uke and so I was just thinking the Aquilas would do the trick but I guess I just don't like the sound of laminates.

Thank you all for the feedback ! I'm probably just going to stick with the aquilas for awhile and try the clear Worth's on it later down the road. Thanks :)

Top Bottom