Issues with Aquila strings on Oscar Schmidt OU2

D

dhoenisch

Sorry all, I may have mis-spoke on this thread. It was brought to my attention that I may have given a negative feel for Aquila strings. That was not my intention at all. I LOVE Aquila strings and use them on all of my other ukes. I have turned others onto Aquila after having them play one of my ukes, and made Aquila believers out of others. I humbly apologize to Aquila for any misunderstanding. I will always use their strings on my ukes. I was more pointing out how very thin the top is on the OU2, and I unintentionally made it sound like I was blaming the strings, which I am NOT doing.

Please ignore my earlier posts, and moderators, if you can, please delete this thread.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Aloha,
I also think there's a problem with a brace under the soundboard. OU-2's are known to be kinda overbuilt but they are tough because of this.
I purchased an OU-2 and an OU-26 for my Fiance's grand kids and both are good sounding and playing ukes, and loud too. They both came with Aquilas.
Take a look inside the soundhole with a small mirror to check the bracing. Dental mirrors can be had at a small cost at any drug store.
My UU buddy mmStan have an extensive uke collection, a LOT of high end ones, but his go to daily player is an OU-2 and he loves it.
Get it checked out. Good luck..................................BO.............................

I may have misspoke. I love Aquila strings and have it on ALL of my other ukes. I think the issue is with my uke and the thin top. Please ignore this thread.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan, is that a concert size uke and did you use concert strings or maybe in error tenor strings ? Aquila strings don't damage the tops of ukuleles if the proper size string is used and they are tensioned correctly. Maybe the uke is just defective ? Get thee to a luthier as another poster suggested.

Dan, is that a concert size uke and did you use concert strings or maybe in error tenor strings ? Aquila strings don't damage the tops of ukuleles if the proper size string is used and they are tensioned correctly. Maybe the uke is just defective ? Get thee to a luthier as another poster suggested.

You know, out of my ignorance (and purchasing them from a big box store), I very well may have purchased tenor strings, and I damaged my uke because of it. The OU2 has a very thin soundboard and I may have simply just put the wrong strings on it. My mom's concert with Aquila strings does have a slightly different feel, and I know for a fact she has the concert strings on hers as I purchased them for her after she played my tenor.

I WILL fix my uke and because I do love the sound and feel of Aquila strings, I will purchase my next sets from Elderly (which I should have done in the first place) and will use them on the repaired OU2 since I really do love the sound of that uke with Aquila strings.

Dan

Top Bottom