More Dolphin sightings

bdukes

Reaction score
With the recent rash of dolphins swimming into the homes of happy ukers across the globe, I wasn't that surprised when a package from our friend at Uke Republic showed up on my doorstep. Actually, I wasn't surprised because I ordered it as a birthday present for my daughter.

But wait, that looks like two packages...

C'mon, who am I fooling? These things are like potato chips... can't have just one. Being a hard core Tar Heel, I got the Carolina Blue one for me.

I now know what all the hype is about. These ukes are fun. Mike @ Uke Republic did a great job setting these up for play. They play nice and sound great. Aquila strings are definitely a great match for these instruments. So for a little bit more than a C-note delivered, 2 totally fun ukes with Aquilas, nicely set-up and super playable, were added to the mix. UAS itch scratched. For now.

Now I just need to get my daughter to call it a ukulele and not a guitar. Baby steps...

Congrats Bill,

Now You're teasing me to get one....wonder of they have lime green....Happy Strummings...
Give a shout out to your daughter a happy birthday.....I sure she will be soo happy and smiling when she gets the dolphin

Congrats! You can never have too many Dolphins IMO. :) Is the Carolina blue one a custom color? It looks different than the standard light blue and I notice there are no black rings around the soundhole.

I'm still hoping my nephew would be interested enough to pick up the Dolphin he got for Christmas. So far he's been too hyperactive to concentrate on it and mostly plays football... :( It might have something to do with his dad being a guitarist too. I'm suspecting the dad might think it's better to play a guitar than to 'mess your head' with an uke... :rolleyes: But I'm happy to say we have one niece who seems very interested in playing her Dolphin so I guess there's hope! :D

Oh, I so *need* a purple Dolphin, one day, when I have some spare money I shall get one with a good set-up...it's all about the set up :D

I got my god daughter an Ukulele for her sixth birthday, she plays it occasionally, but the gift of music is such a great one!

Niiiice! Check em out! I wonder if Kala/Makala has considered offering a concert or a long-neck soprano in the construction style of the dolphin? I'd be all over that in a second.

Niiiice! Check em out! I wonder if Kala/Makala has considered offering a concert or a long-neck soprano in the construction style of the dolphin? I'd be all over that in a second.

Me too! I eye those dolphins all the time but enjoy the concert scale too much to actually buy one. Maybe we should start emailing the good people at Kala/Makala.

Nix

Well, the birthday present was a hit. Not as big a hit as donuts for breakfast, but...

7556838900_7434c996c8_n.jpg

7556839506_b94820930f_n.jpg

7556842832_30bcf43440_n.jpg

Ahaha, awesome. Congrats, Bill. Now ya got yerself a pod of dolphins. :)

Nice one, Carlton. Breaking out the Zoology 101.

Congrats!... Is the Carolina blue one a custom color? It looks different than the standard light blue and I notice there are no black rings around the soundhole.

Thanks. The blue is not custom. I ordered the standard light blue. Take a pic with your iPhone and hold your breath on the color...

Funny you noticed the rosette, or lack thereof. Don't know why one has it, one doesn't. The blue is darker and more saturated than Carolina Blue but close enough for a fanatic. Colors aside, they do sound pretty darn good.

Oh, I so *need* a purple Dolphin, one day, when I have some spare money I shall get one with a good set-up...it's all about the set up :D

I got my god daughter an Ukulele for her sixth birthday, she plays it occasionally, but the gift of music is such a great one!

Yes, you 'need' one. Like we all 'need' the ones we already have. :) The gift of music has always been a fav at our house. Twinkle twinkle never sounded so good. Now this also points out a flaw in my plan to acquire a Dolphin of my own as my older daughter appropriated "my" blue one immediately as hers. Maybe she'll give me her Taylor guitar in exchange. Doubtful.

7556865540_99bc55c4d1_n.jpg

Congrats Bill,

Now You're teasing me to get one....wonder of they have lime green....Happy Strummings...
Give a shout out to your daughter a happy birthday.....I sure she will be soo happy and smiling when she gets the dolphin

Lime green would be pretty sweet. I told my daughter that Stan said, "Happy Birthday!" She said, "Mahalo, Mystery Man!"

7556870284_5d81b7ee5f_n.jpg

Well, the Dolphin is a social animal.

Lesson learned: from now on I'm going to buy 'ukuleles in pairs. (Note, in case my husband reads this: Just kidding. Only I'm not.)

Looks like a terrific birthday party! Your daughter is adorable, and it's fun to see her so happy with her 'uke!

Now You're teasing me to get one....wonder of they have lime green....
Well, not exactly lime, but very green. And now imagine that one with a set of lime green Aurora strings - :drool:
MK-SD-GNFront.png
aurora_nitro-lime.jpg

Dolphins are great! I played one a whole year and i was so happy with it!

Gosh, I thought you had to buy them in pairs! I bought a pink and light purple one last year for the grand daughters (both 5 at that time) and just put on new strings. Ordered them online and they were okay but nothing I'd want to play too much. Before a long cruise this year which involved flying 14+ hrs and the ukes going into suitcases, I bought another pair but this time from Uke Republic. (One is a sort of metallic darker blue and the other is school bus yellow) These ukes came with a complete set up and the aquila strings. We loved playing these and have them hanging on hooks in the family room so they can still get their turns.
IMG_0895.jpg

Last edited:
They are a lot of fun to keep around the house. My daughter has a sparkly black one with multicolor Aurora strings and I have a red one that I use for a beater. We keep ours out and visitors, both adults and kids, love to pick them up.

Looks like a very happy birthday! What a cutie, love that hair. Dolphins are definately better in pods, got one for each of my grand kids (and had to get one for myself they're so much fun!)

haha .. good pics. i have a 1 year old who likes to strum and pick notes.

My GREEN Dolphin came this morning from Thomann. I loved the look of it, but was very disappointed when I tuned it up, because the "C" string went out of tune immediately you fretted it and at the 12th fret it was way out.

However, I suspected this was the crap black strings it came with. I replaced them with a set of Aquila and lo and behold, the detuning problem disappeared and the electronic tuner revealed that it was now perfectly in tune from open to the 12th fret and slightly beyond.

So you are now reading the words of another happy dolphin plucker! :cool:

Top Bottom