2nd Soprano uke build photo`s ( Ipswich QLD)

soulman

Reaction score
Hi Ross here. This is my second build and was wondering if there may be any uke builders or players the Brisbane (Australia)area that may be willing to check it out. justto see if i`m on the right track.

Regards

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 114
It certainly looks nice.
How about a close up of that fingerboard extension? Is it a double layer or a 2piece?? Looks kinda cool

Looks like you've made the mistake we all have on our first instruments - it seems over-braced to me. Only 2 braces are needed for the back of a soprano (I only use 2 for my tenors but the back is 2.1mm thick and the lower bout brace is 9mm square). On the top you usually have a brace either side of the soundhole and just a bridge patch in the lower bout... That neck block is also over-engineered. Just a 3/4"/18mm thick block of hardwood will do :)

As Pete has said. It appears to be far too much bracing for a Soprano.

As you've book matched the top, I would have only used the bridge patch and then perhaps just a couple of thin diamond shaped cleats on the centre seam placed between the lower transverse brace and bridge patch and bridge patch and tail block as insurance on the joint if you were worried about it.

Neck block looks to be big enough for a steel string guitar.

I do like the fret board design. Very cool.

Sorry meant to say good build by the look of it... Remember to build really light. This means you have to take a bit of a risk but the end result is worth it and most peple really take care of their instruments :) Another thing I have found that improves ukulele is solid linings. really stiff sides seem to help focus and project the sound well.

It certainly looks nice.
How about a close up of that fingerboard extension? Is it a double layer or a 2piece?? Looks kinda cool

Thanks glad you liked it. Fret slots were all cut as one board then I cut the extention off and has been glued on as two pieces.

Hi
Thanks for the advice and information. Yes the neck block is a bit (ok alot) overboard. I was experimenting and and had the thought of a bolt on neck, hence the extra wood, then changed my mind.
I have started a concert. I`m using Tasmanian blackwood back and sides with sitka spruce top.
Thanks again, appreciate your advice.
Regards
Ross

wow soulman, just a superb and very 'individual' looking instrument. it must be very difficult to come up with creative/aesthetic designs that really mark a ukulele as your very own...that fretboard piece is fabulous and really striking in terms of creating your own look as a builder. would love to hear it played. Well done mate!

wow soulman, just a superb and very 'individual' looking instrument. it must be very difficult to come up with creative/aesthetic designs that really mark a ukulele as your very own...that fretboard piece is fabulous and really striking in terms of creating your own look as a builder. would love to hear it played. Well done mate!

Thanks Eugene. I probably shouldn`t tell you that that is what I came up with to cover up the steel ruler dent after dropping it on the soundboard. wasn`t to happy at the time, glad it happened now.I really like it and everyone comments on it. So it is definently here to stay as my signature. Will have to do some recordings for you. Have a great week Ross.

!.8mm for the sides and front, 2.1mm for the back. End block 18mm thick - this is plenty for a bolt on neck. And if you dent something again use a wet rag and a soldering iron to 'steam out' the dent.

Hi Peter. Thanks for that. will keep the soldering iron in mind. I have found your youtube posts extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Have a great week.Regards Ross.

Top Bottom