What songs are you playing at the moment?

Kitters

Reaction score
My apologies if a thread like this already exists. I've noticed that I tend to have about 8 to 10 songs I play most of the time until I get bored and try something else. I return to the older songs too but sometimes I notice I've forgotten about them and have to rehearse again. Most of the time I don't look up tabs but play by ear. If I find a good tab or it's a really difficult song, I play from notes/tabs.

Right now I'm having loads of fun playing T.Rex by ear. :D Who knew the songs would sounds so good on a ukulele! Bolan should've tried uke too. ;)

Imagine, Edelweiss, Home On the Range, I'll See You in My Dreams, Route 66, Pua Lili Lehua, Ka Ipo Lei Manu, Don't Get Around Much Any More, Na Lei O Hawaii.

I'm in a constant state of learning, probably I average learning 3-4 per week these days, but some weeks maybe only a couple. Right now I'm working on some arrangements of "Paddlin Madelin Home"; "Yes Sir That's My Baby"; "Orange Coloured Sky"; "My Baby Just Cares For Me"; "Coyotes"; "Pay Me My Money Down"; "I Found A Million Dollar Baby In A 5 And 10 Cent Store" and "The Coffee Song"...whew..enough to keep me going awhile :)

I have mastered none of these, but am dedicated to learning all:

Arkansas Traveler
Wildwood Flower
If Wishes were Horses
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
I'll Fly Away
It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Mr. Rogers in my hero.)

Mostly I'm trying to learn technique -- some finger picking melody, travis picking, clawhammer (which right now is more like jack hammer), and just getting clean chords in my strum.
Oh, yeah, and I'm STILL trying to hold the dang soprano properly -- I'm a bobbler. I believe it is finally time to get a Uke Leash.

I just finished recording the last songs from The Daily Ukulele and so now can say that I have learnt every song in that book :D

I have a few Jazz songs that I'm learning and I plan to try and do my own arrangement of "Your Song" because all the ones I found didn't sound right to me, but it's not something I have attempted before and so am sure it will be a long road and I keep putting it off for other things due to time and such.

Usually, like you, I'm learning about 8-10 songs a week, just practising until I get to the point where I feel I'm done with them :D

Keep :music:

I'm a bobbler. I believe it is finally time to get a Uke Leash.

I cannot recommend Uke Leash highly enough, they are great! Love mine and it enables me to play even when my hands are bad and I'm struggling...without it I probably would have had to stop playing!

I found a version of "Fly Me To The Moon" that I like better than the one I was previously working with, so that's what I'm doing now.
Don

I just finished recording the last songs from The Daily Ukulele and so now can say that I have learnt every song in that book :D
I have a few Jazz songs that I'm learning and I plan to try and do my own arrangement of "Your Song" because all the ones I found didn't sound right to me, but it's not something I have attempted before and so am sure it will be a long road and I keep putting it off for other things due to time and such.
Usually, like you, I'm learning about 8-10 songs a week, just practising until I get to the point where I feel I'm done with them :D

Keep :music:

Dropped in on your blog earlier this morning Joeybug and your post of "Miss the Mississippi and You" inspired me to grab the Martin SO and play through it a few times this morning. Thanks! I LOVE that tune!

Longing for my homeland, muddy water shore
Miss the Mississippi and you.

Today I've been driving my hubby nuts by playing White Swan, Get It On and Hot Love. Every now and then I also play Dream A Little Dream, Ain't She Sweet and attempt to play Diamond Head.

Paul Simon's America
Randy Newman's Feels Like Home and Gainesville
Wild Horses with a sort of reggae beat

I'm working on Blue, Red and Grey a well as I Shot the Sheriff

A buddy and I have formed a uke duo and are prepping a short set for a local outdoor gig, so I'm just playing these over and over....

8 Days a Week
Margaritaville
Walk the Line
Folsom Prison Blues
Wagon Wheel
Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Move It On Over
Good Loving

We are both playing uke, I'm the primary singer, and he's doing a lot of fingerpicking and turnarounds (he's a MUCH better player then I am). :)

Nervous, but really excited. :)

Strumming haltingly and poorly through a rotation of:

I Only Want to Be With You, Midnight Confessions, I Will, Summer in the City, Ukulele Lady, What A Day For a Daydream and Unchained Melody.

Lately I've been working on:

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Harold Arlen and Tom Koehler)
When You Wish Upon a Star (Leigh Harline and Ned Washington)
Hidden in the Sand (Joe Hawley, from the group Tally Hall)
Love is a Losing Game (Amy Winehouse)
Say It's Not True (Queen)

and a bunch of other Queen songs . :D

P.S. - oh oh oh - I forgot: Smile (Charlie Chaplin, John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons).

Last edited:
Lately I've added "Watching the River Run", "Chasing Cars", "Rhythm of the Ocean", and "Danny's Song". And I'm terminally working on the word pronunciation to "Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai. But the latest challenge since I'm not so good with picking or moderately difficult strumming patterns is "Drift Away" via Aldrine's UU video. I love these videos because often they seem impossible when I start and a week later just need more repetition and polish. I did cheat a little by going up a half step to avoid the dreaded "E" chord.

These are what I've been playing repeatedly most recently. Right now, I've just been enjoying playing them, I haven't been trying to memorize them yet.

Lola
San Francisco Bay Blues
Only The Lonely
Accidentally In Love
Sister Kate
With A Wink And A Smile
Only A Paper Moon
59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy)

I'm working on "Girl," by The Beatles, and "Don't Talk," by The Beach Boys for a tribute show next month.

Top Bottom