Another "which one?" Acacia or Mahogany Bari

BlueLatitude

Reaction score
Ok - you like them both. Which one do you like better? Which one does your friend like better? If it is a suprise gift you can always ask your friend some questions to get a feel of what they would like better.

I'm a Libra, I like them equally!

But seriously, the acacia seems a little bit brighter, maybe? Would that describe it?

It's a sort of a surprise, so I can't ask. And I can't pretend I'm interested for myself because I already complain that my tenor is too big for my hands, so he KNOWS I don't want a baritone!

I guess what I'm looking for is some help describing the two sounds I'm hearing and that might help me decide.

Last edited:
Too me, the Pono Mahogany sounds a lot cleaner and clearer.

Hi,

I own both. I prefer the Mahogany over the Acacia, especially for jazz. The Mahogany has a much fuller and warmer sound with nice projection and sustain. The Acacia is nice but I find the tone to be a bit to bright and even thin for my tastes.

The strings obviously have something to do with this as well. I tune GCEA with Southcoast Linears loaded. The baritones in the sample videos are loaded with wound strings tuned DGBE.

Thanks,

Mike

That's very helpful, thanks!!!

I was wondering if the brighter one might be nice since both his current ones are mellow, but maybe I should just break down and ask him.

That's very helpful, thanks!!!

I was wondering if the brighter one might be nice since both his current ones are mellow, but maybe I should just break down and ask him.

Perhaps he has mellow ukes because he prefers the mellower sound? What kind of wood is his current favorite uke made from?

His favorite is the custom rosewood one, the other one is a second-hand monkeypod that he got just because it was there, I think. He's always commenting positively on the different sound my ukes have (mine have either spruce or cedar tops).

But I should add that he has GAS real bad and does like all different kinds of sounds.

Depends what kind of sound he likes..not ours.... mahogany has a sweeter sound and Arcacia has a Brighter tone....Good Luck...ask him, bright or warm tone...which do you like...

I just did. He said both are nice! I'm going to give up and let him know, so he can just choose for himself.

Of the two videos posted, I prefer the one with the mahogany ukulele. Like others who've posted in this thread, I hear the mahogany as being just a bit fuller and clearer. They both look beautiful, though, and I'm a big fan of acacia (partly, I admit, for its look), although my first ever ukulele is solid mahogany and I really like the way it sounds.

Top Bottom