New Gretsch And Takamine Ukes On The Market ? Who knows Of This ?

Leodhas

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've not been on for a few months, got drawn back into the world of guitars. Nevertheless I saw something ukulele related which really sparked my interest and I was wondering if anyone has a take on it ?

I've noticed that more and more Guitar brands are entering the uke market. For example, I've just seen that Gretsch have released a series of ukes, I think Gretsch are fender owned and I was curious as to the design of the Gretsch, basically are they a variation on the fender series of ukes? Also are they any good? Furthermore, I've also spotted a Takamine range of ukes. Has anyone got any information on these, once again are they any good?

I have a soft spot for Gretsch and I realise they used to make ukes back in the day. Nevertheless, this new series really intrigues me due to the aforementioned soft spot.

I know someone will have a good take on this and the ukes mentioned.
Cheers.

PS. the reason I've not been on here for a few months is that I had to smash the uke habit, it really was getting ridiculous, eating, sleeping, thinking ukes! Totally neglecting all other instruments which wasn't a good step for me as I gig primarily using the acoustic guitar. Hopefully I can become a responsible user of ukes in the future.

Haven't seen those yet, but based on what I've seen from Martin in the past few years, I'd be surprised if they measured up to the vintage ones. I noticed the website doesn't mention where they are made, which presumably means they are imports.

Haven't seen those yet, but based on what I've seen from Martin in the past few years, I'd be surprised if they measured up to the vintage ones. I noticed the website doesn't mention where they are made, which presumably means they are imports.

Aye they're definitely not US made, I can see that by the price. Nevertheless they did intrigue, but I'm probably just being a sucker for the brand name. But I would like to know if anyone has played one? Any kind of review. They are on sale at the Thomann website which is a European company based in Germany (I think ) but they supply throughout Europe. I'm not promoting any site (hate that idea) but if you want to have a look at one they are there.

Gretsch G9110-SM Concert DLX Ukulele is the model.

I don't want to post a link but I will in this case as I can't be arsed to copy and paste up a picture.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g9110_sm_concert_dlx_ukulele.htm

They are far eastern ukes with logos added. Licensed by the brands in question. They may be decent, they may not, I just think the term 'cash in' applies

I recently played a Gretsch soprano and concert in a local store. Quite liked the sop, not bad for £92 including gig bag. Wasn't so smitten with the concert, the action was a little high and it lacked a bit in tone. That one was £99. I suppose having that name on the headstock looks cool and the finish was good enough, but think I'd still go for something like a Kala, Ohana or Bruko in that price bracket?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback people, it sounds as though my worst fears are correct, as in basic ukes branded to knock the price up a wee bit. I'm a touch gutted as I like the idea of a Gretsch uke, but I guess that's why they do it. Saying that, if I ever get the chance to try one out and as long as it plays ok I could still see myself buying one just for the name, sad but true.

The new Gretsch brand is nothing like the old days - I wouldn't expect much from their guitars or ukes, frankly, even less so than the new Martin ukes out of Mexico. At least Martin is still the same company as of old and if there have been a lot of personnel and policy changes from "way back when" they still have some leadership from Martin family members. IMO "Gretsch" hasn't been anything but a logo for a long time...

John

Top Bottom