Lacquer over Z-poxy

Pono

Reaction score
Just finished the 2nd coat of z-poxy for pore filling a Koa tenor this afternoon. I plan on putting on a third and final coat tomorrow. I plan on spraying Cardinal Lacquer hopefully early next week. Do I need to spray a vinyl sealer or can I just spray directly on the z-poxy. Has anyone had problems with adhesion? I ordered some Cardinal vinyl sealer today but it won't come in until the middle of next week and I was hoping to spray on Monday. I had it in my head that I did not need the sealer but I have read so many things about finishing in my attempt to learn the process I cannot remember where I read that I could spray directly on the z-poxy. Attached are a couple of pictures after the first coat. Thank you for any help.

DSC01457.jpgDSC01459.jpgDSC01460.jpgDSC01458.jpg

We've used lacquer directly z-poxy without problems.

I want that Shady Grove sign!

Thanks Pete. Chuck Moore also suggested not masking and just using a router after finishing but I was a bit reluctant to try that on my first real finishing job. You made the comment about the miniscus in a previous post and I forgot about using the different tape. Sorry about that. Is sellotape the same as scotch tape that you would use for wrapping a present? If this would work better I could remove the blue painters tape after pore filling, sand the area flat, then re-mask with the new tape. Worth the re-masking before spraying or not in your opinion?

Last edited:
Got to see the Dead play at RFK Stadium (old Redskins Stadium) in 1992, Dwight Yoakam opened for him. It was a pretty cool show. I also got to see David Grisman play at my school about 10 years ago. Another great show. Never saw them together but have listened to them play Shady Grove together on CD and Vinyl many times. Great song! Sorry you can't have the sign, it is my dad's.

Hi folks. I built 2 ukes about 4 months ago and just took another look at them. I found that the finish has sunken wherever there is a glue joint. The back center joint, binding purfling, everywhere. I used z poxy filler and cardinal lacquer. The glue is titebond. I wondered if anyone else had this happen?

I've used z poxy on probably 20 builds and have never had a problem. I use the silica thickener from LMI that is made by system three. Vinyl sealer or shellac down first. Mostly shellac these days

Thanks for writing. You said you put shellac on first, do you mean before the zpoxy or after? How long do let the zpoxy dry before coating over it?

I put the shellac on first and then the ZPoxy. I let the epox set over night and then sand. Sometimes gotta come back with a 2nd coat of the ZPoxy. Then just straight on with the lacquer. I think some folks use a vinyl sealer on the epox but I've been just going directly on the epox with lacquer. I was using an expired credit card to work the epox in but have been using a little squeegee I got from stewmac that I like better.
Works for me

Thanks Terry, I'm going to try that. Hoping the shellac will keep the z poxy from sinking. I just started using lacquer. I used an oil finish for the last 25 years but the dust problem is too much in the little shop i'm in now. I seem to run into finishing problems that no one ever heard of.. Lucky me. This has been really nice connecting with another builder. Thanks again. Mark

On another thread about Zpoxy Chuck Moore thought it may be other issues that caused the shrinkage around the joints. Maybe green wood, or at least not dry enough, joint fits, stuff like that. I think he's right. Most of what I've learned about finishing I've learned right here on the LL. It's been a wonderful resource!
I've also switched to Cardinal lacquer after using most of the others and it's working the best for me.

Top Bottom