Tenor Strings x Tension

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
I always found the tension of the strings I tried too damn high on the tenor, they even tire me after a while. I tried to tune down 1 step, but then playing with other got hard.

I used Aquila and Worth Browns and Clears on the ukes I had and I was never satisfied. There is any brand of strings that makes the tension of a tenor uke similar to a concert? I use Low-G on my tenor.

2 sets I really like are Koolau Alohis and Southcoast Flatwounds, both low g's.
Most comfortable sets for me on a tenor..........................BO.....................

2 sets I really like are Koolau Alohis and Southcoast Flatwounds, both low g's.
Most comfortable sets for me on a tenor..........................BO.....................

Thanks for the kind words.

In addition to the linear strings we have 4 different tensions in reentrant sets. All but the Heavy Gauge come in two flavors: the crisper standard formula or the softer sounding "Soft" sets.

3 of the tensions are listed on the site now - the 4th is available as well. It will be listed when I can get the new string site up. I've been sending them out anyway when they seem appropriate.

You wouldn't want the Heavy Gauge, and possibly not the Mediums either if you're looking for something a bit more relaxed. The new Light Mediums, or the Light Gauges should give what you need.

Last edited:
A tenor is going to be inherently higher in tension because of the longer VSL (vibrating string length).

This is true to a certain extent. The longer scale does mean that you'd need more tension to pull a given set of string gauges off the fretboard of a Tenor.

That's not much tension, though, and once you do that, it's up to you where you go from there.

Last edited:
I'll second or third Southcoast strings. I'm using up my last set on a koa tenor currently wearing Worth Browns which I felt were soft until I tried the Southcoasts, and that's the regular Southcoast strings. They are softer than even the Worths and bend nicely yet still have a great ring on my mahogany uke. I actually really need about four sets as I want them for my six string too.

Thanks for the kind words.

In addition to the linear strings we have 4 different tensions in reentrant sets. All but the Heavy Gauge come in two flavors: the crisper standard formula or the softer sounding "Soft" sets.

3 of the tensions are listed on the site now - the 4th is available as well. It will be listed when I can get the new string site up. I've been sending them out anyway when they seem appropriate.

You wouldn't want the Heavy Gauge, and possibly not the Mediums either if you're looking for something a bit more relaxed. The new Light Mediums, or the Light Gauges should give what you need.

Dirk, I have a set of your new Light-med guage re-entrant strings. Can I put on one of your low g string in place of the hi g? I don't want to open the package til I decide if I want to try a low g with the set.

We spoke a little last week on a more mellow string for my Koa Griffin tenor; you suggested the flatwound string so will be ordering a set in the meantime.

I'm sure many of us have gone thru the many different sets from many different manufactuers; I know I sure have. I've found that so far Southcoast is the best for me. I like it even more that the owner is so easy to converse with and always learn something from him everytime he posts.

Dirk, ... Can I put on one of your low g string in place of the hi g? ... I've found that so far Southcoast is the best for me. I like it even more that the owner is so easy to converse with and always learn something from him everytime he posts.

Hello Patrick,

First, thanks for the kind words. Second, I wouldn't change out strings in our sets. Two reasons:

1) We try to get a nice balance in the set overall, and in the transitions from one string to the next. For that reason, we don't use the same materials in the reentrant sets as in the wound sets. It's not that it would be godawful, but it will definitely be better to use the 4 strings that were designed to go together.

2) We just don't like a single wound string in this situation. Going back to the first point, there's just not a good transition between a relatively vibrant wound 4th string and a relatively subdued thick 3rd treble. That's one of the main reasons wound strings have some of their bad rep. The wound string will sound out of place. Pair that wound 4th with a wound 3rd, however, and now the transition is at 3-2, or in other words, to a treble string that is much more in character with the adjacent wound string. Now the set becomes smooth and balanced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom