humidifier questions

J-dawg5

Reaction score
i just got a lanikai tenor zebrawood, acoustic and electic.
im in love with her! I live in colorado, wich is very dry so i need a humidifer. but is safe to put moisture even though i have electronics in there? if not what eles can i do to keep her safe? If so do i need to put it in a case when the humidifier is in? i also got a wall hanger so well it be humidifiedif i leave in on the wall while my humidifier is in ther? please let me know, im new to these solid wood ukuleles.

Congrats on your new Uke. If you keep it in the 40 - 55% range you'll not have a problem. To see if you have a problem I would get a hygrometer like this: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/OGH2.htm

Being out of that range for a bit won't hurt it but not for weeks. In case is easiest to regulate the humidity.

The electronics will be ok.

Have fun and enjoy you new uke

And if it's laminated (as opposed to solid zebrawood) it will be very stable and it's not likely to crack even if you don't humidify it, even in Colorado. If it's solid zebrawood then I would definitely get a humidifer, or you can make them pretty easily.

John

If you are concerned about keeping it safe - I would make sure to use the wall hanger on a wall that is not exposed to the elements on the other side of the wall.

So in Atlanta where the average humidity is above 42% often far above, like all Spring and Summer, no need a hydrometer?

So in Atlanta where the average humidity is above 42% often far above, like all Spring and Summer, no need a hydrometer?

It's not the outside ambient humidity that matters, it's the humidity where the uke is. Chances are the humidity in your house is about 30-35% if you have a properly-sized AC system. (An oversized AC system that doesn't run enough will actually result in higher humidity in the house, and an undersize one that runs constantly will result in even lower humidity.)

About the only people who can safely ignore humidity with their solid instruments are those who live in a "pleasant" tropical environment where the humidity is around 40 to 60 percent and central heat and air is rarely used.

John

Don't want to give away my secret as there will be a run on these at Walgreen's and my stash will be gone! BUT, I go in and ask for a few of the old plastic film canisters (they are getting harder to find thanks to digital) I then take the lid off, drill a number of small holes in the lid (small enough that water does not drip, but large enough that the vapor escapes, you need a pin drill set, which you can buy cheap at a hardware or craft store) I then get a package of cellulose sponges, rinse them out really well and cut them into squares. You then put the squares into the film canister, fill it with water, push down on the sponge to get it soaked, pore out the water and push down again on the sponge to purge out the bulk of the water so it does not just bleed out, put the cap back on, throw 2 or 3 into your case and you are good to go! As for the ariplane question, just pack it in the case with a couple of these and you will be fine...when I sell a solid Uke I normally put one in the case (making sure it is wringed out well) to help it on its trip....cheap, easy and kind fun to make and give away to your Uke pals.....

How safe is it to fly in an airplane for 5+hrs without a humidifier? I know it's generally pretty dry in an airplane but not sure if it's hitting less than 40% humidity there. Thanks!

Short periods of dryness (or excessive humidity) are no danger. Even a few weeks shouldn't be an issue for a properly made uke that is cared for. It takes a long time for moisture to migrate in or out of wood.

Now, if you have a uke that hasn't been humidified for a long time sudden exposure to very dry conditions (or changing cabin pressure) might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Also, an uncared for uke could have minute cracks that don't show until that final straw comes along and opens them up a bit.

John

Top Bottom