G7 vs. G

jrasche2003

Reaction score
Newbie with a problem..

Why does G7 and G sound exactly the same to me??? I keep examining and trying over and tuning and I still hear the same ??? HELP!

Did you try just plucking the E string with it fretted at 1 <as in G7> and at 3 <as in G>? it is a subtle difference and the other 3 strings are the same.

have you got your finger positions for each chord sorted?

G = 0232
G7 = 0212

The G has a more 'resolved' kind of sound, as major chords tend to do, whereas the G7 has a more 'open-ended' kind of voice, implying some kind of movement, something unresolved, like asking a question....have a close listen again!!!

the G7 has a more 'open-ended' kind of voice, implying some kind of movement, something unresolved, like asking a question

Best description of a seventh...ever!

It's a subtle difference. I like the way Eugene described it. If you can't tell the difference now, don't worry too much about it. Just play away and as you play, your hearing will develop to hear the subtleties.

It's a subtle difference. I like the way Eugene described it. If you can't tell the difference now, don't worry too much about it. Just play away and as you play, your hearing will develop to hear the subtleties.

:agree:...................what tigersister said!

Was experiencing the same thing on my inexpensive uke when I started learning a couple of years ago. A few months ago upgraded (Ohanna CK50 MG) and have been extremely happy with my new uke's potential. If you are learning on a "starter" uke do what you can to try something better; friends or music shop. In any event keep using proper fingering and see if your ear develops to notice a difference.

Try this - play the 3rd string down on its own, (the E string) first of all fretting at the first fret, then play it fretting at the third fret. The difference between those two notes is the difference between G7 and G. Your ear will get used to it, the more you play, and you don't need a more expensive uke to hear it. The G chord is a "finished" chord, if you like, but G7 isn't - that note played on the first fret of the E string sort of wants to get to the note played at the third fret - which incidentally is a G!

Great question. I wondered the same thing. Certainly the difference between G and G7 is a lot more subtle to my ear than say C and C7 or D and D7. Not sure why that is.

I probably shouldn't but if a song is fairly fast (like Twenty Six Miles) I'll play G7 after F to avoid tripping over the transition. It sounds fine to me. I still work at the F to G on Georgie Girl so figure eventually I'll get it down.

Try this - play the 3rd string down on its own, (the E string) first of all fretting at the first fret, then play it fretting at the third fret. The difference between those two notes is the difference between G7 and G. Your ear will get used to it, the more you play, and you don't need a more expensive uke to hear it. The G chord is a "finished" chord, if you like, but G7 isn't - that note played on the first fret of the E string sort of wants to get to the note played at the third fret - which incidentally is a G!
Actually, to correct myself, that's not strictly true - the note wants to go the open E string, which it does when you go from G7 to C.... in musical terms G7 "resolves" to a C chord - listen to it doing that - but in comparing G7 to G, what I said should still help - I hope! :D

Your ears will probably get better at hearing the difference as you play more, but they do sound a lot alike, except as others have already noted. I play a lot of chord melodies, where I play the chord on the first or last beat of a measure, and often a G7 is called for in the Tab, but a G note is what is in the melody. Since a G7 has an F note on the 2nd string, it just doesn't sound right when you emphasize that string. So.. I just play a G instead and it usually works out better.

(warning: narrow-minded, music theory content)

One of the reasons that the G and G7 will likely sound similar to you is that they both have the same function in terms of harmony and voice leading (i.e.: the way specific chords and notes within them 'want' to move).

Both the G and G7 chords most frequently resolve to C. In fact, both G chords 'drive' towards the C chord. There are strict(ish) rules as to how each note of the G or G7 chord must/can move to reach the C chord.

For a G to C chord progression, the individual notes want to move thusly:
D -> E
B -> C
G -> G

For a G7 to C chord progression:
F -> E
D -> E (or C)
B -> C
G -> G

Both G and G7 resolve in pretty much the same way, though G7 has that one, extra note.

I think, though, that i'm getting a little far afield of the question. Generally, if you're playing in C major (or minor), the G and G7 chord are pretty much interchangeable and both have the same harmonic function and reinforce the key in the same way.
If you're not in the key of C, you might find that substituting a G7 for a G chord will not work well.
For example, if you play this chord progression in D major:
D G A7 D
trying to substitute the G7 for the G will not sound 'right.'

If you try them same substation with
D Bmin G A
you might hear the same not-quite-right sound.

Was experiencing the same thing on my inexpensive uke when I started learning a couple of years ago. A few months ago upgraded (Ohanna CK50 MG) and have been extremely happy with my new uke's potential. If you are learning on a "starter" uke do what you can to try something better; friends or music shop. In any event keep using proper fingering and see if your ear develops to notice a difference.

This is VERY true and in fact a very good way (for me) to test ukes in a brick/mortar shop... I can hear the differences in tonal clarity among majors, minors, and 7th (G, A, F, etc.) between, say, a $160 uke and a $350 uke (different models of the same brand).

shaka, brah! :shaka:

Try playing a G chord, then a G7 and repeat this pattern over and over. When you single strum and alternate the chords over and over you should be able to hear the difference.

You're right Jamie! (I didn't understand any of the other stuff you wrote but suspect it is right also)

No worries.

I was also thinking that it might be easier to hear the differences if we played different chords where the 7th is the highest note of the chord; the F note (which is the 7th of the G7 chord) can get lost when you play 0212 on uke.
Try playing a D chord 2225, then play D7 2223 to hear more clearly the difference between the normal triad and its 7th counterpart.

Try playing a song with the chords in it like Handle with Care from the Traveling Wilburys, when you play the change G to G7 you should hear the difference.

Top Bottom