What happened to Larry's Music in Kauai?

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
We stopped to get shave ice for my son in Kapaa so I took a short stroll over to Larry's Music where my uke journey began almost exactly one year ago. They were closed so I looked through the window to check out all the different eye candy, only to discover that Larry's should rename itself the Kamoa store. I fully understand why, but I was a little bummed that my Kamaka lost his child hood home.

Can't wait 'till they open tomorrow. I want to play with an evolve!!!

Where are you staying on Kauai ?

We stopped to get shave ice for my son in Kapaa so I took a short stroll over to Larry's Music where my uke journey began almost exactly one year ago. They were closed so I looked through the window to check out all the different eye candy, only to discover that Larry's should rename itself the Kamoa store. I fully understand why, but I was a little bummed that my Kamaka lost his child hood home.

Can't wait 'till they open tomorrow. I want to play with an evolve!!!
Ha! That's how my uke journey began. Shave ice and a stroll by Larry's where Sam's dad sat strumming a uke. We talked for a long time and while I didn't purchase one that day, it did get the UAS warmed up and within a couple days I purchased a uke from a music store in Hanalei which happened to be closer to where we were staying.

***correction- it was the Larry's in Koloa Town where I met Sams dad. I did, however, wander into the shop in Kapaa too and spoke with Sam about ukes. Great couple of guys and I hope to get back to Kauai to see the new shop some day soon.

Last edited:
In 2010, I visited Larry's in Kapa'a, and drooled at the range of Hawaiian built ukes. A small corner of the store was the Kamoa brand Sam was launching.
In 2011, I ordered one of the last G-String Sun Concerts from Larry's.
In 2012, I visited Both Larry's music stores, and was in the market for a Kanile'a. The entire store was Kamoa, with just a few left over Hawaiian ukes. I tested a few Kamoas, and listened to Sam play a few, and just wasn't impressed with the sound at all. I ended up visiting Scotty's and getting a sweet Kanile'a Tenor.

I understand why this has happened, but it would be nice if Larry's continued to carry other Hawaiian brands. Although I'll add that Sam is a really cool guy, and knows a lot about ukes!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Last edited:
Gonna have to visit Scotty's in 3 months. I see a problem though:

My nickname since childhood is Scotty (my surname is Scott, you see)
Last time on Kauai, we had a carriage ride around Kilohana...and the horse was called Scotty
Scotty's Music sells Ukuleles, I play Ukulele, I have several credit cards.

Do you see where this is going ?

I would stop by his store in Koloa. When I was there back in June, they still had some K ukes there -- if I recall correctly, a couple of Kanileas and KoAlohas, I'm not sure about Kamakas. True, the Kapa'a store is mainly Kamoa now, but give the Koloa store a try. Plus, it is an excuse to see Sam's mom who is the sweetest lady in the world. :)

I bought my first Kamaka from Larry's Music in April 2011. After having trouble tracking Sam down to get into the Kapa'a store (Kamoa had recently launched, and Sam was busy shipping them to faraway places), I found Sam's parents staffing an ukulele cart at a resort hotel in Puipu Beach on a Sunday night. Sam's dad, Joe, drove me back to the Koloa Town store (which was closed) and let me play as many ukuleles I wanted for as long as I wanted. (Special thanks to Sam's mom for offering to staff the ukulele cart by herslef so Joe could take me back to the Koloa Town shop!) I picked out a Kamaka tenor, and Joe brought it to the Kapa'a store the next morning so I could compare it to the Kamakas that Sam had in stock in the Kapa'a shop at the time. I ended up buying the tenor I'd picked out on Sunday. Sam and his parents were all great, and my ukulele means as much to me because of how I acquired it as for its great sound, feel, and appearance. I'd heard that the Kapa'a shop had become all Kamoa, and I understand why Sam did that. But I share Gary's longing for a time when the Kapa'a shop was the (expensive) candy store of ukuleles, filled with lots of K-brand ukes in addition to Kamoas.

Gary, have a great time at the Waikiki Ukulele Festival! I'm going to try to follow at least part of it online.

I would stop by his store in Koloa. When I was there back in June, they still had some K ukes there -- if I recall correctly, a couple of Kanileas and KoAlohas, I'm not sure about Kamakas. True, the Kapa'a store is mainly Kamoa now, but give the Koloa store a try. Plus, it is an excuse to see Sam's mom who is the sweetest lady in the world. :)

I love Georgianne!!!

She and Joe are super nice. Didn't get to meet Sam.

I want to check out one of the Kauai built Kamoa's.

Sam loved Kamakas and recommended them highly when I ordered one from Larry's a couple of years ago. Sam picked out a great looking, wonderful sounding Kamaka soprano for me out of the new batch that had just come in. Still have it, and still love it.

It's understandable that Sam would be all about Kamoa ukes now.

Currently at the Outrigger Waipouli in Kapaa. I'll be moving down to The Point at Poipu in a couple days and then I'm off to Oahu for the uke festival.

If you find yourself around the Sand Bar at the Islander down the road, say hi to Karen, and tell her Niq & Alison will be there soon.

I bought my first Kamaka from Larry's Music in April 2011. After having trouble tracking Sam down to get into the Kapa'a store (Kamoa had recently launched, and Sam was busy shipping them to faraway places), I found Sam's parents staffing an ukulele cart at a resort hotel in Puipu Beach on a Sunday night. Sam's dad, Joe, drove me back to the Koloa Town store (which was closed) and let me play as many ukuleles I wanted for as long as I wanted. (Special thanks to Sam's mom for offering to staff the ukulele cart by herslef so Joe could take me back to the Koloa Town shop!) I picked out a Kamaka tenor, and Joe brought it to the Kapa'a store the next morning so I could compare it to the Kamakas that Sam had in stock in the Kapa'a shop at the time. I ended up buying the tenor I'd picked out on Sunday. Sam and his parents were all great, and my ukulele means as much to me because of how I acquired it as for its great sound, feel, and appearance. I'd heard that the Kapa'a shop had become all Kamoa, and I understand why Sam did that. But I share Gary's longing for a time when the Kapa'a shop was the (expensive) candy store of ukuleles, filled with lots of K-brand ukes in addition to Kamoas.

Gary, have a great time at the Waikiki Ukulele Festival! I'm going to try to follow at least part of it online.

Thanks Mark. Too bad you couldn't make it this year. See you in Napa? I already registered for classes. I scaled back from last year so I can hang out more. Last year was a little overwhelming for me.

I saw a new uke store in Kapaa that I might check out today, time permitting.

Mostly looking forward to reconnecting with Georgianne and Joe and let them know how much I've enjoyed the instruments I've purchased from them.

Currently at the Outrigger Waipouli in Kapaa. I'll be moving down to The Point at Poipu in a couple days and then I'm off to Oahu for the uke festival.

Yay, the Point! My mom has a timeshare there and we love that place. If you get a chance, get a frozen mai tai at Keoki's Paradise in Poipu.

I love Georgianne!!!

She and Joe are super nice. Didn't get to meet Sam.

I want to check out one of the Kauai built Kamoa's.

I have one, and really like it. It doesn't sound as good as my Kanilea or KoAloha, but sounds pretty comparable to my Kamaka.

Yay, the Point! My mom has a timeshare there and we love that place. If you get a chance, get a frozen mai tai at Keoki's Paradise in Poipu.

I have one, and really like it. It doesn't sound as good as my Kanilea or KoAloha, but sounds pretty comparable to my Kamaka.

Keoki's? I definitely know the place!

My time-share is actually in Maui, but the property in Poipu is under the same company so I've been staying there for the last few years. I love Kauai. Haven't been to Maui in at least five years (since my first trip to Kauai). You should check out the Outrigger Waipouli on your next trip. The accommodations are just a tad nicer than the point and you can catch Aldrine in the bar on Wednesdays :) Poipu is still my favorite though. There's something about the remoteness of the area and the rustic feel of Koloa that I really love. I feel like I'm "home" every time I'm there.

Interesting. Similar to Kamaka sound is what Sam was probably going for. Although you didn't say similar, you said comparable. Does the Kamoa sound like a Kamaka?

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Too bad you couldn't make it this year. See you in Napa? I already registered for classes. I scaled back from last year so I can hang out more. Last year was a little overwhelming for me.

I saw a new uke store in Kapaa that I might check out today, time permitting.

Mostly looking forward to reconnecting with Georgianne and Joe and let them know how much I've enjoyed the instruments I've purchased from them.

Hey Gary,

I'm definitely envious that you're (a) on Kaua'i, (b) going to get to see Georgianne and Joe, (c) looking at kaua'i-made kamoas, and (d) going to the Waikiki Ukulele Festival on July 22. As I may have told you, I was planning to go to the festival this year, but when I was invited to perform with my ukulele class at the Maui Festival in October, I determined that I couldn't go to both feestivals and had to sacrifice the one in Waikiki. Unfortunately, Kaua'i won't be on my itinerary for October, as I'm planning to go to the Big Island. If you see this post before you see Georgianne and Joe, please give them a big "Aloha!" for me (tell them I'm the guy who tracked them down at the hotel in Poipu Beach in April 2011) and please tell them that I absolutely love the Kamaka tenor I bought from him.

I already sent in my application for the WCUF. I actually signed up for four workshops each day; three of them each day are two-parters, and after having attended last year's festival with a broken finger, I wanted to challenge myself this year to improve my playing. I'll probably regret not having any free time there this year.

Have a wonderful time at the Waikiki Festival. Please take lots of photos if you can!

I plan to visit both Scotty's and Larry's next week

I got my Kamoa from Larry's in Kapaa in 2011. Sam was super nice, he let me try a whole bunch of ukes.it was one of those rainy days on Kauai and the wife and I were walking around and happened on to Larry's.

Go for the Malasada's at the KMart!!! ;-) Was just there last month, I almost forgot about ukes eating those damn things....it's like the crack of food, total addiction after the first bite.

Keoki's? I definitely know the place!

My time-share is actually in Maui, but the property in Poipu is under the same company so I've been staying there for the last few years. I love Kauai. Haven't been to Maui in at least five years (since my first trip to Kauai). You should check out the Outrigger Waipouli on your next trip. The accommodations are just a tad nicer than the point and you can catch Aldrine in the bar on Wednesdays :) Poipu is still my favorite though. There's something about the remoteness of the area and the rustic feel of Koloa that I really love. I feel like I'm "home" every time I'm there.

Go for the Malasada's at the KMart!!! ;-) Was just there last month, I almost forgot about ukes eating those damn things....it's like the crack of food, total addiction after the first bite.

LOL

Hey Jay, I'm the one who told you about the K-Mart lady. :)

Top Bottom