giving your ukulele character

lewjack

Reaction score
hi everyone am thinking of buying a clearwater baritone which is a bit plain looking so thinking of drawing on front body with sharpie pen to give it more character or am i being daft cheers nige

If you have artistic talent, it could be a cool addition. If I did that, it would look like I left my uke alone with a toddler wielding a sharpie. :/

going to plan B i might go to tattoo shop and see what they can do
hi everyone am thinking of buying a clearwater baritone which is a bit plain looking so thinking of drawing on front body with sharpie pen to give it more character or am i being daft cheers nige

If you have artistic talent, it could be a cool addition. If I did that, it would look like I left my uke alone with a toddler wielding a sharpie. :/

lol...I've got the same artistic ability, HS!

Here's a thought - have a design made at a vinyl shop. My tenor Fluke has a symbol on it made from stick-on vinyl like some folks use on their car windows.

It's your uke - if you want to draw on it with a Sharpie....go ahead.

BTW - not sure why this thread was posted in the Site Suggestion subforum.

Sharpie will wear off unless you seal it.

What they said! Your uke - your way! Freeda does have a point though, Sharpie will rub off quite readily, especially if it is on a gloss finish. Ordinary lacquers will make Sharpie ink run as well (ask me how I know!).
Where abouts in the World are you? I have a vinyl cutter if you have an idea?

i was thinking take varnish off first do drawing then revarnish and thanks for all your idea's cheers nige
What they said! Your uke - your way! Freeda does have a point though, Sharpie will rub off quite readily, especially if it is on a gloss finish. Ordinary lacquers will make Sharpie ink run as well (ask me how I know!).
Where abouts in the World are you? I have a vinyl cutter if you have an idea?

P1170680.jpg

Here's what a spray paint artist in Indonesia did to my custom sonowood uke.

Last edited:
Those sharpie paint pens work well. When I get signatures on my inspiration uke they are always done using silver paint pens. No issues yet!

plan c am going to get water slide decals not sure japanese maybe thanks everyone nige
i was thinking take varnish off first do drawing then revarnish and thanks for all your idea's cheers nige

I've seen some pretty impressive looking ukes with artwork on the top and/or the back, mostly on ebay. I would think you could just sand it carefully to surface, allowing enough finish to remain to constitute a decent sealant for the oil or acrylic paint, or permanent market, or??? to adhere to. Finishing sprays in a spray can can put a clearcoat back over the finished product...available from luthier supply houses.
I've often wanted to try some woodburning designs...much like the lunas you see on ebay, or ????? When you play uke, the most important thing is to have fun. Good luck.

Phil

Tattoo artists do skateboards all the time. This isn't unlike that, so maybe a tattoo artist who's good with paint (and if they're good, they should be) and not a jerk could do it.

Top Bottom