Summer NAMM: IMUA Ukuleles

Mim

Reaction score
These are long-awaited and worth the wait!

These are a new brand of Hawaiian hand-made ukuleles! Imua is a partnership between Jorma Winkler, and Shinji Takahashi, luthier from Japan who also makes T's, Kiwaya Ukulele and others.

Why am I excited? I played them, and they are sweet. A classic Hawaiian hand-made finish and feel! And of course the Koa... oh the Koa! Some of the best woods are being used in these ukuleles.

So of course I pre-ordered AND... ordered one for myself!

So... without further ado... I present... in about 4 different posts to include all the pictures... the NEW IMUA UKULELE which will be available in about a month!

Giddy Giddy Giddy!

IMG_5130.jpg

Last edited:
This is a tenor!

Did I mention I love love love love love the headstock logo! So much that I could have typed more Loves! The simplicity, yet the creativity, yet, just the whole concept! Sooooo cool!
IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the other tenor! Me and Jorma talked for a long time about wood grain and how you never know what will appeal! How a customer will want all quilt, no lines, how sometimes people want all line, no quilt. So the cool thing, is the wood properties of each of these ukes really gives you an opportunity to pick out which cut of Koa is "your" cut of Koa for "your" uke!

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic. Have a good time.

Here is my soprano he would not let me have! Haha! (Just kidding... I will wait... the wait is sometimes the best part. Like expecting a baby... I can get the case, and the hanger, and get everything ready for when it comes home! Haha!

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

Last edited:
This is the concert and this is the coolest looking one... in my opinion! Just a great uke!

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

Last edited:
Wanna get a closer look at the headstock inlay, what's that?

Is IMUA under the Big Island Company? Thanks Mim.

It is a very simple lower case i for "imua" basically it is like the rounded body of an i with the dot inset. They took the inlay and did it in one direction for the body for the i and the other for the dot. I personally love the simplicity. Sort of a distinctive less is more, yet very clever.

Yes, it is Big Island Co. but it the build, feel, and everything is not like their Big Island Ukes. These are hand/luthier-made in Hawaii and they are just great ukuleles.

Last edited:
Found a video of one being played. It sounds very responsive and bright in the video.

Found a video of one being played. It sounds very responsive and bright in the video.

Seriously, I dont want to crow too hard, but these really are up there with the K brands without a name that starts with a K. So it may have to be the K and an I brand ukes :)

They look pretty sweet! Gonna get a look at them tomorrow - they are a joint creation by well know Japanese luthier Shinji Takahashi (T's guitars) & Jorma.

Here is the other tenor! Me and Jorma talked for a long time about wood grain and how you never know what will appeal! How a customer will want all quilt, no lines, how sometimes people want all line, no quilt. So the cool thing, is the wood properties of each of these ukes really gives you an opportunity to pick out which cut of Koa is "your" cut of Koa for "your" uke!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, pretty! I want that in a concert!!!!

Aloha MImmy,
hee hee how are the prices, are they close to Big Island Prices...I should go out and check them out..

Very nice selections of wood... keep 'em coming, Mim!

Beautiful! Thanks for the video. I always wonder what an unfamiliar uke sounds like. Good to know they sound as good as they look.

Thank you for the nice pictures. I love the talent in that shop. Beautiful book matching. Nature provides such a wonderful selection, each day must be heavenly making the decisions. Also I can see the frustration that might be hiding if one is not continually on the ball and attentive to the creation. Beautiful luthiery. (ie) (spelling) Sometimes the old guy forgets. Mim I love you almost as much as my John Deere tractor.
HaHa!!
Jim

Top Bottom