NAMM 2012: The "new" stuff from Ohana!

Mim

Reaction score
I love Ohana! I really do! And I am not just saying that! I love every thing from their maker to their office manager! So I was excited and surprised to see them at Summer NAMM. I usually just see them at Winter NAMM.

I got to check out their new stuff and there is some good stuff there! They are always looking for new tonewoods and fun ways to capture the history of the ukulele in newer models.

So here are a couple of highlights!

(Man I am using a lot of "!!!", but, I just love NAMM and seeing ukuleles! Ha!)

First off... I dont know what to call this one. But it is super cool looking. A combination spruce, cedar top, a combination Spruce and Rosewood back and sides. The headstock will be the classic Ohana headstock when it is produced. It is a fun and innovative ukulele:

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

I have the soprano of this in stock! This is the concert. Solid Redwood, Solid Myrtle Back and sides. Has a "poppy" sound. Nice full, loud sound, with projection, but a nice hard punchy edge to it! It is a great uke! So I cant wait until they come in. They look good, sound good, and are just a great uke.

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5163.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

Last edited:
Here is your Portuguese "throw-back" uke. Smaller body, more dramatic shape, and the rope binding, and fretboard stripe. Now... the cool thing about this, is even the look and feel of the frets are just like the vintage ukes I have handled. It is amazing how they really captured the look and feel of a vintage instrument.

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pictures Mim, they really are. Thanks very much for posting them.

You may have noticed that I'm not there. Hope you missed me. I'm at home. But in the middle of next week I leave for the Italian Festival in Caldogno. It should be great. I will have many of the same ukes on display (not to buy) there too.

I hope to be at the Tampa Bay Fest in November. Will you be there?

Lovely pictures Mim, they really are. Thanks very much for posting them.

You may have noticed that I'm not there. Hope you missed me. I'm at home. But in the middle of next week I leave for the Italian Festival in Caldogno. It should be great. I will have many of the same ukes on display (not to buy) there too.

I hope to be at the Tampa Bay Fest in November. Will you be there?

YES! I missed you and really hope you will be at Winter NAMM! TBUG... ummm... maybe. It is an 11 hour drive for me. If my mom did well with my kids this weekend then I will come to TBUG if I can drag "Mr. Mim" along to help me out. But... if you are going to be there... well... it just may be a lot harder to miss ;) Hmmmm... we shall see!

Oh, and I'm going back today... maybe will get to take some more pics. It takes a bit to get them up and running and posted and everything. But tomorrow morning I hope to do some more.

wow I love that Nunes style uke. Any word on pricing for these new guys?

I need that throw back uke. I. Need. It!

Hi Mr. Middleton,

When I say "new guy"s I mean these new Ohana models: the Nunes style, the spruce/cedar top, the redwood top (I am assuming they are new offerings are they not?). They look awesome and I need to know how much I need to start saving for!

Here is your Portuguese "throw-back" uke. Smaller body, more dramatic shape, and the rope binding, and fretboard stripe. Now... the cool thing about this, is even the look and feel of the frets are just like the vintage ukes I have handled. It is amazing how they really captured the look and feel of a vintage instrument.

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

That's a winner! I love this one. Order one for me, Mim!

I'm very happy with my Ohanas. My SK-38 is such a good copy of a Martin S2, no longer feel the need to have the original.

I love Ohana! I really do! And I am not just saying that! I love every thing from their maker to their office manager! So I was excited and surprised to see them at Summer NAMM. I usually just see them at Winter NAMM.

I got to check out their new stuff and there is some good stuff there! They are always looking for new tonewoods and fun ways to capture the history of the ukulele in newer models.

First off... I dont know what to call this one. But it is super cool looking. A combination spruce, cedar top, a combination Spruce and Rosewood back and sides. The headstock will be the classic Ohana headstock when it is produced. It is a fun and innovative ukulele:

IMG_5153.jpg

I love that headstock just the way it is, and the instrument really looks fantastic! I've never really gotten to play any Ohana ukulele with an MSRP above $350, but this model looks like one of the "worth every penny" types - I hope it sounds as good as it looks! Does it have a model number yet?

-Kurt​

Price Check on Aisle 17

Went by Ohana just to say, "Hey! How much are the Portuguese ukuleles"?

They are still finalizing the price, but they are going for about $200 when they hit the market! I would plan on $200-$220.

Did I mention I love the Ohana people... oh, and did I mention how much I love their ukes? I was at the booth and a local music shop came by and I could not help but tell them they needed to offer Ohana. Haha!

oi Mim...if that combo spruce/cedar/rosewood model is for sale I want you to buy it for me and I will pay you immediately. And nup, I'm not kidding. I will play her and stroke her and love her and and and...aaaaarrrrrrrgghghhhh :p

oi Mim...if that combo spruce/cedar/rosewood model is for sale I want you to buy it for me and I will pay you immediately. And nup, I'm not kidding. I will play her and stroke her and love her and and and...aaaaarrrrrrrgghghhhh :p

I wish I could get it. But since it is a prototype I gotta wait until they come out. But man I wish I could get it for you!

Top Bottom