Kanilea's Glossy Finish

jazzbo

Reaction score
I love my Kanilea's UV cured poly finish and it really enhances the koa wood. Is there any reason to use a protective polish, like Virtuoso which I use on my guitars?

The reason I ask is that I don't think it would shine any more than it currently does, and this finish seems to hold up well to the occasional fingernail.

jazzbo
Kanile'a K1T Premium
Pono MC

I use Dunlop Formula 65 Polish & Cleaner on all my gloss finish ukuleles to remove any fingerprint grime and dust. It's very gentle on the finish.

Whateve Kanilea recommends. Whatever you do should depend on the kind of finish it has. Many require nothing but a wiping with a soft cloth.

There's not much that can hurt that UV finish, as far as cleaners. But it's like you said, how much more shiny can it really be.

The past couple years of just using a microfiber cloth on the neck and body have worked great for me.

i'm just reviving this old thread to see if there are any other polishes folks have used on the Kanilea UV. I tried to get the Grover Glide from Kristen yesterday and she said they are sold out, I figured that was safe since Kanilea sold it themselves. I emailed Grover and they said it has been discontinued.

So I bought a bottle of Dunlop 65 yesterday and was all set to use it today but internet and UU searches are stating it contains silicone.

Yes, in general I just use a microfiber cloth bit I would like to polish it on occasion. Has anyone found a good non silicone polish for a Kanilea UV gloss?

Has anyone used GHS Guitar Gloss?

Last edited:
i'm just reviving this old thread to see if there are any other polishes folks have used on the Kanilea UV. I tried to get the Grover Glide from Kristen yesterday and she said they are sold out, I figured that was safe since Kanilea sold it themselves. I emailed Grover and they said it has been discontinued.

So I bought a bottle of Dunlop 65 yesterday and was all set to use it today but internet and UU searches are stating it contains silicone.

Yes, in general I just use a microfiber cloth bit I would like to polish it on occasion. Has anyone found a good non silicone polish for a Kanilea UV gloss?

Has anyone used GHS Guitar Gloss?

I think virtuoso is a good polish

I use New Finish Car Polish...Great protection and last along time....and a even deeper high gloss...

The old saying nothing with silicone rarely applies to todays modern finishes that are not nitro.. the new UV and polyester finishes cannot really be touched up like older nitrocellulose finishes so a silicone polish needs not really to be avoided. It was in the days of real nitro that silicone finishes would make it hard to repair or refinish a uke that had residue on it but with most modern finishes its hard to just touchup so i really would not sweat it if you even used pledge haha

What MGM wrote below sure makes sense.

I tried the Nu Finish car wax (in orange bottle) from mmStan's suggestion, and it is a winner. I don't own a Kanilea, though.

Top Bottom