Need help for strings for 21 1/2 inch scale baritone uke

Wildflower

Reaction score
We found a old perflectone instrument in the attic some time and if I remember (it was falling apart), it had rusty metal strings on it but once we cleaned it up, I put nylon strings on it but needing help finding the best guage nylon strings for a 21 1/2" scale for DGBE tuning. Any ideas? I am guessing that I will need to borrow from a light classical guitar string set?

Not sure if you'll find nylon strings for DGBE. You'd probably have to go metal. If you want nylon strings try Southcoast Linear non-wound strings tuned up to GCEA. In my opinion, you get a better sound from a baritone in GCEA (at least on the three different baritone ukes I've tried them on). The only catch is that you're in a different key. I've never found that a problem though - same shapes, different chords is all.

Good luck.

The old rusty metal strings are the key. Are you sure you're measuring the scale correctly? Sounds like an old short scale Tenor Guitar. That scale should be closer to a modern Baritone - around 20 1/4". Regal made a lot of Tenor Gutars with the short scale (as well as the regular 23").

At any rate, metal strings will give it it's best voice - that is if you think it's in good enough structural shape to handle what once was normal tension.

A classical set will put less strain on it - sometimes you have to settle for that with an antique. We build a Tenor Guitar made for classical strings, so we have a set for linear G on the 23" scale. They may be a bit loose, but if that's a correct scale measure, that's about as close as you'll get. No guitar strings will hit that sort of a scale on the money in G.

If you're not tied to an exact tuning, moving them up 1/2 step or a full step to A tuning - that should be perfect and that key sounds really nice if the body is relatively small, like a Regal.

If you want to try ours, it's the G23 (g tuning @ 23" scale - clever, huh!) Linear String Set w/ Round Wound basses.

Last edited:
codusta reports

Yeah, I thought early on that it might have been possible a tenor guitar but not sure and hated to chance putting too much stress on it with metal strings. The fretboard was crumbling and we had to put a new one on and a new nut with slots to accommodate the thicker nylon strings. Always had issues with buzzing so trying to figure out best strings for it. Going to try to stay with baritone uke tuning if I can. Checking about the G23 strings.

A excellent question. I think at main we are talking to "concept" moreso than "utility" or device efficiency...but it could be mentioned at duration in regard to the latter as well....i think its best...whats your opinion?
Floor Scale

Last edited:
Top Bottom