PDA

View Full Version : why I do not like pineapples? I have some kind of discrimination?

fabioponta
07-13-2012, 05:57 PM
why I do not like pineapples? I think I will consult with a psychologist.
I bought a pineapple koaloha recently, and have had a Kamaka pineapple and Mainland mahogany pineapple, and I do not know...
I did not like to hold any of them. It's nothing against the sound, even though I did not like soo much the sound of my Koaloha pineapple in comparison with my figure 8 koaloha (is almost the same!).
I have some kind of discrimination on the pineapple ukulele?
Anyone else?

mikelz777
07-13-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm sure it's just one of those personal things. I personally don't care for the look of the pineapple shape at all. The figure 8 is much more pleasing to my eye.

Doc_J
07-13-2012, 06:29 PM
I think many folks, including me, prefer the figure-8. It is a bit more comfortable.
That being said, I want a concert pineapple. :confused:

Hippie Dribble
07-13-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm a discriminator too Fabio. I don't like the look of pineapple shaped ukuleles either mate. :)

coolkayaker1
07-14-2012, 01:43 AM
fabioponte...you bring up an interesting point about pineapples. Other than the look, as many mention, what it it about them. You state the holding of it as one consideration...please help by explaining anything other than looks that makes you dislike them.

Why my questions? I've never owned a pineapple in the past, never saw one or played one, but have a custom pineapple tenor on build order from Mya-Moe for later this year, and could always change it to traditional 8 still if I wanted. Thanks

Freeda
07-14-2012, 01:53 AM
I have the opposite problem. I don't care for the figure 8.

PhilUSAFRet
07-14-2012, 02:46 AM
My bias? I think, sooner or later, every uker is going to want a pineapple......for how long? That is the question. I'm a "bargain lover" so I have my eye on a Covered Bridge sycamore concert pineapple with a redwood top. For now, I bought little Makai to practice on, sand down nut/saddle, change tuners, then move on to more valuable ones.

Gmoney
07-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Don't like Pineapples?!?! Travesty! Unheard of... (keep hating 'em, boys & girls - leaves more around for folks like me!)

:cool:

stevepetergal
07-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Never liked them. They don't look like ukuleles to me.

Gmoney
07-14-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm a discriminator too Fabio. I don't like the look of pineapple shaped ukuleles either mate. :)

But, you haven't had a Mya-Moe Pineapple in your hands yet, my friend! A dream...

Hippie Dribble
07-14-2012, 03:39 AM
But, you haven't had a Mya-Moe Pineapple in your hands yet, my friend! A dream...
he he Glenn. I know you da Pineapple Prince!!!!! :)

roxhum
07-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Fabio you sold the Pineapple I sold to you!? You know I thought that Kamaka sounded real nice but I just couldn't warm up to it either. For me they don't feel good to hold. I want to like pineapples. I don't dislike the look of them, however I like the look of the figure 8 better. Second to sound I judge a uke on how it feels to hold and play. Looks come in third since I can't see them when I am holding them anyway. I guess the Pineapple is a uke that you either love or hate.

roxhum
07-14-2012, 04:06 AM
fabioponte...you bring up an interesting point about pineapples. Other than the look, as many mention, what it it about them. You state the holding of it as one consideration...please help by explaining anything other than sound that makes you dislike them.

Thanks

Regarding the Kamaka pineapple it was deeper then my other ukes and I did not like that about it. Being female I already have the boobs in the way so the thicker uke was less comfortable. However, my Kamaka standard pineapple is also a bit deeper and that hasn't bothered. It is hard to pin point but it just doesn't feel as good. I briefly had a Ohana soprano pineapple and it felt too small and it did not have a better sound then a figure 8 so I sent that uke back. The Kamaka Pineapple does have a bit deeper/richer sound than the soprano Kamaka. I think this is all just so personal you have to try it first yourself. I prefer the soprano fret board but recently I got a long neck soprano and that uke fits my body type perfectly.

coolkayaker1
07-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Regarding the Kamaka pineapple it was deeper then my other ukes and I did not like that about it. Being female I already have the boobs in the way so the thicker uke was less comfortable. However, my Kamaka standard pineapple is also a bit deeper and that hasn't bothered. It is hard to pin point but it just doesn't feel as good. I briefly had a Ohana soprano pineapple and it felt too small and it did not have a better sound then a figure 8 so I sent that uke back. The Kamaka Pineapple does have a bit deeper/richer sound than the soprano Kamaka. I think this is all just so personal you have to try it first yourself. I prefer the soprano fret board but recently I got a long neck soprano and that uke fits my body type perfectly.

Thanks, roxhum. And others that have pineapples. I think you've hit my biggest thing--holding the instrument. I have studied it on my current ukes, and I love straps--I'm a strapper. I add pins for straps, if there are none, on all my ukuleles (M-M's come with strap buttons), and I use Lori's uke leash with strap button adapter. I tend to rest the uke butt on my thigh. And I have no boobs. Moobs, yes. lol So, I don;t see how the curved waist missing on a pineapple will adversely affect my holding of it, but for some reason, I think it might, as you say.

And the M-M pineapple is smaller in body size than the KoOlau tenor pineapple (Craig Brandau helped me with some measurements of his instrument), and it's smaller than even the M-M figure 8 tenor (according to the specs on the M-M website). Hmmm. G'Money, you have a M-M tenor? What do you think about body size and hold? Or others? Thanks

Doc_J
07-14-2012, 05:49 AM
The Mya-moe concert pineapple is the same dimensions as their soprano. While their tenor pineapple is the same length as a standard concet body.

RyanMFT
07-14-2012, 06:41 AM
I have a vintage Kamaka pineapple, and it just bigger overall as compared to my other sopranos. It is deeper, and the body is big compared to new pineapple ukuleles. I don't have any issue holding it, and don't find it is easier or harder to hold. I also have a teardrop shaped Favilla and people have asked me if it is hard to hold....it is the same holding it as any other soprano. However, my Kamaka has a VERY different sound as compared to my other ukuleles, deeper and fuller. It doesn't have a lot of bark, which sounds odd to me, but a friend recently told me it is the exact sound he is looking for from a ukulele......which surprised me.

So, as others have said, it is personal preference. Play what you like brother. People think I am odd for mostly playing sopranos built before the 40's and not having a tenor!

janeray1940
07-14-2012, 07:40 AM
So it's starting to seem like not only one's ear, but one's body shape, has something to do with ukulele preferences! I find the pineapple to be the easiest thing to hold (but I do use a mandolin strap on every uke I own, I can't hold any uke well without one). I'm having a heck of a time figuring out just hold to hold my new soprano figure-8 - but I'll deal with it, because I love the sound so much.

Gmoney
07-14-2012, 08:22 AM
The Mya-moe concert pineapple is the same dimensions as their soprano. While their tenor pineapple is the same length as a standard concet body.

Pretty much... a lot like a long-neck soprano - my favorite body/neck combination.

Paul December
07-14-2012, 08:33 AM
fabioponte...you bring up an interesting point about pineapples. Other than the look, as many mention, what it it about them. You state the holding of it as one consideration...please help by explaining anything other than looks that makes you dislike them.

Why my questions? I've never owned a pineapple in the past, never saw one or played one, but have a custom pineapple tenor on build order from Mya-Moe for later this year, and could always change it to traditional 8 still if I wanted. Thanks

A tenor pineapple, that could be interesting...
...I've always wanted a concert pineapple, but one thing that I get hung up on are its visual proportions. Somehow the body seems out-of-scale with the neck. I think it would be difficult to get the right looking balance body-to-neck (even more so with a tenor).

MisterRios
07-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I have the opposite problem. I don't care for the figure 8.

I also discovered I don't really care for the figure 8. I just can't seem to get a good hold with that much body missing. My first two ukes were pineapples, and my third was a figure 8, and I just don't enjoy it as much. I find myself lusting after pineapple ukes, and not so much after normal ones. It's too bad Brüko doesn't make pineapples (not even on custom orders, people have asked, and they have always said no), otherwise I'd already have one.

I'm even thinking of selling my SK-35 and getting a Kiwaya pineapple...

MisterRios
07-14-2012, 09:20 AM
A tenor pineapple, that could be interesting...
...I've always wanted a concert pineapple, but one thing that I get hung up on are its visual proportions. Somehow the body seems out-of-scale with the neck. I think it would be difficult to get the right looking balance body-to-neck (even more so with a tenor).

Actually, Ohana had a concert pineapple at winter NAMM, and again at the Frankfurt Musikmesse. Ken said they'd be out by the summer, but I haven't heard anything about them. Probably because I'm the only person who freeze framed the videos and measured the screen to make sure it was also a concert body.

fabioponta
07-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Hello all UU friends,
Thank you for sharing with me their frustrations with pineapples. I spent some hours today trying to understand why I do not like pineapples, before going to a psychologist...
I played my koaloha figure 8 and the koaloha pineapple, both with worth clear strings (the same sent by the koaloha factory) and reached the following conclusion:
1. Although the sound of the pineapple have more resonance in conparision whit the figure 8, the shape of the body takes out some high tones in the end of the notes, and almost all the mediun tones is lost (or cover by the bass-low tones) as compared with Figure 8 (very balanced between high, medium and bass tones).
2. For me, the sound of pineapple has more bass and resonance, but is a little less complex. If I was a fingerpicking, I would not notice as much as I can realize doing my rock strumming.
3. For me, the figure 8 has a more complex attack and puch in the midrange and high tones.

4...The format slides more and seems less safe to hold and play.

fabioponta
07-14-2012, 11:50 AM

coolkayaker1, maybe I found my answer: do you agree with my last post?

fabioponta
07-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Fabio you sold the Pineapple I sold to you!? You know I thought that Kamaka sounded real nice but I just couldn't warm up to it either. For me they don't feel good to hold. I want to like pineapples. I don't dislike the look of them, however I like the look of the figure 8 better. Second to sound I judge a uke on how it feels to hold and play. Looks come in third since I can't see them when I am holding them anyway. I guess the Pineapple is a uke that you either love or hate.
Yes RoxHum, I sold the Kamaka Pineapple (the myth, you remember the trip odyssey of it last year?) to raise funds for Koaloha pineapple. I thought the same thing about the Kamaka pineapple, although the koaloha sounds louder and more complex than it to me.

fabioponta
07-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Maybe the concert scale and the string tension is the solution for the sound balance... I need to try someday....

BlackBearUkes
07-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Hello all UU friends,
Thank you for sharing with me their frustrations with pineapples. I spent some hours today trying to understand why I do not like pineapples, before going to a psychologist...
I played my koaloha figure 8 and the koaloha pineapple, both with worth clear strings (the same sent by the koaloha factory) and reached the following conclusion:
1. Although the sound of the pineapple have more resonance in conparision whit the figure 8, the shape of the body takes out some high tones in the end of the notes, and almost all the mediun tones is lost (or cover by the bass-low tones) as compared with Figure 8 (very balanced between high, medium and bass tones).
2. For me, the sound of pineapple has more bass and resonance, but is a little less complex. If I was a fingerpicking, I would not notice as much as I can realize doing my rock strumming.
3. For me, the figure 8 has a more complex attack and puch in the midrange and high tones.

4...The format slides more and seems less safe to hold and play.

I tend to agree with you about the pineapple shape uke having a fuller, more bass response, which is why I don't make any pineapple shapes larger than a soprano size. The few concert size pineapples I have made in the past where never quite the sound that I was after, this was due to the larger top area and larger body cavity which tends toward the bass sound. Also as a side note, I thought the the concert size pineapple shape was more of a melon size than pineapple. As for a tenor, I could never bring myself to build one because it looked too much like a water melon and God only knows how much bass response there would be.

joeybug
07-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I like my pineapple - I like the different sound, but the majority of my Ukes have been added to my collection for the difference in sound they have from the others. I also have a Vita and whilst I love the sound, I do not care for the shape, but she stays because of the different sound she produces and she sounds great! I don't think it's a "discrimination" more personal preferences and some people will prefer the figure 8, others the cut away, others pineapple and others ones like the Vita...it's all about surrounding yourself with things you love, so don't feel bad for not liking the pineapple shape or sound!

coolkayaker1
07-14-2012, 02:55 PM
coolkayaker1, maybe I found my answer: do you agree with my last post?
That's a very insightful post from a fellow that has owned both. Well described. I bet you're right about the differences, and articulated them well. Thank you, f.

coolkayaker1
07-14-2012, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiAsHgaSnIM&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhJxkKDjpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvQmygqO44

Great replies. I bet your right, to those that say the p'apple lacks some upper register. I've never played one, but am asking (along with OP) b/c I have one one order from Gordon and Char later this year (stevepetergal, I'm going to be a MM owner, you had big influence, friend).

I can see, BlackBear, your point about making them in smaller body sizes to compensate for that difference in register. Good advice. I suppose wood choice is also a possible compensation. Mine is scheduled to be sycamore. Even more "punchy" would be maple, for instance, to offset the deep bias of the pineapple shape.

Thanks all for input.

Here's three pertinent vids for anyone considering the pineapple, as well as OP. For those that are not, well--Zzzzz--you can skip the vids. lol

Aaron's comparison of Mya Moe pineapple sizes is particularly interesting.

Paul December
07-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Actually, Ohana had a concert pineapple at winter NAMM, and again at the Frankfurt Musikmesse. Ken said they'd be out by the summer, but I haven't heard anything about them. Probably because I'm the only person who freeze framed the videos and measured the screen to make sure it was also a concert body.
I'm looking forward to see what it looks like!

coolkayaker1
07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq1K51JLP9c

KoOlau tenor pineapple. Seems like everyone is cashing in on the pineapple "game".

Ukeval
07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I love mine, back is so beautiful...
;-)