why I do not like pineapples? I have some kind of discrimination?

fabioponta

Reaction score
why I do not like pineapples? I think I will consult with a psychologist.
I bought a pineapple koaloha recently, and have had a Kamaka pineapple and Mainland mahogany pineapple, and I do not know...
I did not like to hold any of them. It's nothing against the sound, even though I did not like soo much the sound of my Koaloha pineapple in comparison with my figure 8 koaloha (is almost the same!).
I have some kind of discrimination on the pineapple ukulele?
Anyone else?

I'm sure it's just one of those personal things. I personally don't care for the look of the pineapple shape at all. The figure 8 is much more pleasing to my eye.

I think many folks, including me, prefer the figure-8. It is a bit more comfortable.
That being said, I want a concert pineapple. :confused:

I'm a discriminator too Fabio. I don't like the look of pineapple shaped ukuleles either mate. :)

Last edited:
fabioponte...you bring up an interesting point about pineapples. Other than the look, as many mention, what it it about them. You state the holding of it as one consideration...please help by explaining anything other than looks that makes you dislike them.

Why my questions? I've never owned a pineapple in the past, never saw one or played one, but have a custom pineapple tenor on build order from Mya-Moe for later this year, and could always change it to traditional 8 still if I wanted. Thanks

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem. I don't care for the figure 8.

My bias? I think, sooner or later, every uker is going to want a pineapple......for how long? That is the question. I'm a "bargain lover" so I have my eye on a Covered Bridge sycamore concert pineapple with a redwood top. For now, I bought little Makai to practice on, sand down nut/saddle, change tuners, then move on to more valuable ones.

Don't like Pineapples?!?! Travesty! Unheard of... (keep hating 'em, boys & girls - leaves more around for folks like me!)

:cool:

Never liked them. They don't look like ukuleles to me.

Fabio you sold the Pineapple I sold to you!? You know I thought that Kamaka sounded real nice but I just couldn't warm up to it either. For me they don't feel good to hold. I want to like pineapples. I don't dislike the look of them, however I like the look of the figure 8 better. Second to sound I judge a uke on how it feels to hold and play. Looks come in third since I can't see them when I am holding them anyway. I guess the Pineapple is a uke that you either love or hate.

fabioponte...you bring up an interesting point about pineapples. Other than the look, as many mention, what it it about them. You state the holding of it as one consideration...please help by explaining anything other than sound that makes you dislike them.

Thanks

Regarding the Kamaka pineapple it was deeper then my other ukes and I did not like that about it. Being female I already have the boobs in the way so the thicker uke was less comfortable. However, my Kamaka standard pineapple is also a bit deeper and that hasn't bothered. It is hard to pin point but it just doesn't feel as good. I briefly had a Ohana soprano pineapple and it felt too small and it did not have a better sound then a figure 8 so I sent that uke back. The Kamaka Pineapple does have a bit deeper/richer sound than the soprano Kamaka. I think this is all just so personal you have to try it first yourself. I prefer the soprano fret board but recently I got a long neck soprano and that uke fits my body type perfectly.

Regarding the Kamaka pineapple it was deeper then my other ukes and I did not like that about it. Being female I already have the boobs in the way so the thicker uke was less comfortable. However, my Kamaka standard pineapple is also a bit deeper and that hasn't bothered. It is hard to pin point but it just doesn't feel as good. I briefly had a Ohana soprano pineapple and it felt too small and it did not have a better sound then a figure 8 so I sent that uke back. The Kamaka Pineapple does have a bit deeper/richer sound than the soprano Kamaka. I think this is all just so personal you have to try it first yourself. I prefer the soprano fret board but recently I got a long neck soprano and that uke fits my body type perfectly.

Thanks, roxhum. And others that have pineapples. I think you've hit my biggest thing--holding the instrument. I have studied it on my current ukes, and I love straps--I'm a strapper. I add pins for straps, if there are none, on all my ukuleles (M-M's come with strap buttons), and I use Lori's uke leash with strap button adapter. I tend to rest the uke butt on my thigh. And I have no boobs. Moobs, yes. lol So, I don;t see how the curved waist missing on a pineapple will adversely affect my holding of it, but for some reason, I think it might, as you say.

And the M-M pineapple is smaller in body size than the KoOlau tenor pineapple (Craig Brandau helped me with some measurements of his instrument), and it's smaller than even the M-M figure 8 tenor (according to the specs on the M-M website). Hmmm. G'Money, you have a M-M tenor? What do you think about body size and hold? Or others? Thanks

The Mya-moe concert pineapple is the same dimensions as their soprano. While their tenor pineapple is the same length as a standard concet body.

I have a vintage Kamaka pineapple, and it just bigger overall as compared to my other sopranos. It is deeper, and the body is big compared to new pineapple ukuleles. I don't have any issue holding it, and don't find it is easier or harder to hold. I also have a teardrop shaped Favilla and people have asked me if it is hard to hold....it is the same holding it as any other soprano. However, my Kamaka has a VERY different sound as compared to my other ukuleles, deeper and fuller. It doesn't have a lot of bark, which sounds odd to me, but a friend recently told me it is the exact sound he is looking for from a ukulele......which surprised me.

So, as others have said, it is personal preference. Play what you like brother. People think I am odd for mostly playing sopranos built before the 40's and not having a tenor!

So it's starting to seem like not only one's ear, but one's body shape, has something to do with ukulele preferences! I find the pineapple to be the easiest thing to hold (but I do use a mandolin strap on every uke I own, I can't hold any uke well without one). I'm having a heck of a time figuring out just hold to hold my new soprano figure-8 - but I'll deal with it, because I love the sound so much.

The Mya-moe concert pineapple is the same dimensions as their soprano. While their tenor pineapple is the same length as a standard concet body.

Pretty much... a lot like a long-neck soprano - my favorite body/neck combination.

fabioponte...you bring up an interesting point about pineapples. Other than the look, as many mention, what it it about them. You state the holding of it as one consideration...please help by explaining anything other than looks that makes you dislike them.

Why my questions? I've never owned a pineapple in the past, never saw one or played one, but have a custom pineapple tenor on build order from Mya-Moe for later this year, and could always change it to traditional 8 still if I wanted. Thanks

A tenor pineapple, that could be interesting...
...I've always wanted a concert pineapple, but one thing that I get hung up on are its visual proportions. Somehow the body seems out-of-scale with the neck. I think it would be difficult to get the right looking balance body-to-neck (even more so with a tenor).

I have the opposite problem. I don't care for the figure 8.

I also discovered I don't really care for the figure 8. I just can't seem to get a good hold with that much body missing. My first two ukes were pineapples, and my third was a figure 8, and I just don't enjoy it as much. I find myself lusting after pineapple ukes, and not so much after normal ones. It's too bad Brüko doesn't make pineapples (not even on custom orders, people have asked, and they have always said no), otherwise I'd already have one.

I'm even thinking of selling my SK-35 and getting a Kiwaya pineapple...

Top Bottom