am i weird?

J-dawg5

Reaction score
So i was showing off my new tenor ukulele, and i mentioned her name was Bella, my Girlfriend, brother looked at me weird cause i named her? Am i alone?:confused: my Soprano's name is Lola, whats your uke's name?:shaka:

You are weird. :p

My named ukes are all in my signature. My husband names his guitars, my stepson named his guitar...it's not weird.

Just tell them it's a musician thing, you wouldn't understand. :D

Yes, you are weird. Consider seeing a mental health professional. There may be hope yet. Gotta go, Lulu wants me to pick her up and strum her. Oh well!

What I want to know is whether it's weird to give one's uke a MALE name. (Because I already have...and now I see that everyone refers to "her"...)

What I want to know is whether it's weird to give one's uke a MALE name. (Because I already have...and now I see that everyone refers to "her"...)
I have a uke named "GUS" inlayed on the 12th fret. I named it after my dad who was in the navy and it is a "sailor" brand

Yes, you are weird. Consider seeing a mental health professional. There may be hope yet. Gotta go, Lulu wants me to pick her up and strum her. Oh well!

:agree: and while your at it, introduce them to the uke. Who needs to play one more than a "mental health professional." :shaka:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always named my guitars to keep them straight.....I've named a couple of my uke's but I usally just refere to them as Uke....kinda like naming your dog dog I guess...But you got me thinking, I need a name for the tenor my kid just got me....hummm...when I figure it out I post it!

I named a hand made built ukulele. Realized it wasn't my style and never called it that. I called it by the name of its builder. It was my Mya-Moe. Not Margo.

I've called my Eleuke a few names, unfortunately none of them are repeatable in this forum.

I don't bother to name anything that won't come when I call it... I hear from my kids that they got teased all through school for not having names...

I didn't name my 'uke, Fifi Bonne-Soirée. She introduced herself when I opened the box.

I do find it convenient, Fifi having a name. I can blame things on her. "Sorry you don't like that song. Fifi insisted." People kind of leave you alone. :biglaugh:

Check out my sig pic - NO YOU ARE NOT WEIRD! I do it, a lot of people do, some people think it's stupid, but personally, I like to think of them by their names as there is a reason behind each one and that helps me when playing to remember the reason I have each Ukulele while playing them, helps me to smile :D

Some of mine have names; some don't. Some are male, some are female, and some are neither. It depends.

Last year in a flute forum a young girl (I think it was a young girl) asked for suggested names for her new flute. Everyone pounced on her and said, essentially, that it was the stupidest thing they'd ever heard, naming a flute. I felt sorry for her (and I think we are nicer than the flute people [at least, nicer than *those* flute people]) - and I suggested that she name the flute Shira.

Kathryn

Flute players, too?

I think ukulele people are fabulous! I have some lovely friends made in the ukulele community.

Anyway -- No, I don't name my ukuleles. I call 'em by their brands. Suppose in sense I've named them, huh?

Maybe I'm weird ... I think all sopranos and concerts (altos) are female and all tenors and baritones are male because that's how it tends to work with singing voices. Then again, I try not to anthropomorphize inanimate objects. They don't like it.

I sold all my named ukes down the river but one, all the rest are just "The (brand name).

However my car's name is Bruce. We just bought a car for resale, it was immediately christened The Little Red Rooster. I think naming cars and trucks is common because they do the work horses used to do.

We have awful parking restrictions here, so on the night before street cleaning days one of us will usually ask the other "Where's Bruce?! Is he on the right side of the street?!" This car waves it's wipers at me once every week or two when I put the key in the door and turn it to unlock. Whenever we get on the freeway for a road trip he waves too, but ONLY when we are getting on the freeway heading out of town. On cold days when it feels like rain he chimes that he needs gas even if he has half a tank, "Bing! Bing! Bing!" so I have to turn the radio up. We got him really cheap because of the chiming.

I'm don't think I'm weird but my car kinda is.

Top Bottom