On the shoulders of giants!

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Commercially available ablam is found in very restricted sizes, often scaled for and cut for our misguided guitar making peers :) This guy is the reall deal weh it comes to small shop solutioins:

If you can tune out the intense and monotonous tone of voice, the over detailed description there are some real gems on his channel. Enabled me to properly scale a rosette for a tenor, with a custom chanel curve and hence, an ideal match and complete rosettes for less than $10 a pop! Here is my 2.5mm custom wide 38mm internal diameter rosette fitted with scaled violin purflin...

Mikey2-1.jpg

Thing is Chuck I can't - shell here in the UK is hideously expensive and I believe it's somewhere in the CITES list so buying from MOP supplies which is located in Australia (?) seems to me bordering on illegal. Importing anything is dollar for pound so a $10 purchase at source, the item landed has usually cost $15 when you add in the taxes and stuff... I'll leave it to my supplier here in the UK too have those headaches, speking of which I have flu at present! And you are right - 38mm radii not diameter. Always happy to be slapped about by you :)

Last edited:
"In 2007, because of widespread poaching of abalone, the South African government listed perlemoen as an endangered species according to the CITES section III appendix, which requests member governments to monitor the trade in this species. This listing was removed from CITES in June 2010 by the South African government and South African abalone is no longer subject to CITES trade controls".

It was only one type of abalone anyway, perlemoen or haliotis midae which was restricted. Of course none of this accounts for over zealous or ill informed customs officers but by and large, one ought to be ok with Abalone.

I hope so - however with the way things are going it wouldn't surprise me if they try to catch everything. Martin no longer export guitars with pearl inlay....

MOP supplies (Victoria, Australia) are really cheap international shipping ($6-$$8?), and at $0.35cents a Paua segment you cant go wrong. Small packages should get through. MOP nuts only $5 which can be cut in half. darn cheap.

Or you could simply buy the shell from MOP Supplies. 76 mm diameter (I think you mis spoke when you mention 38mm) and in any width you could want. At a cost of less than $4 a rosette. And it's solid shell, not Abalam.
Chucks method is a lot safer too, did you notice the bandaged finger, I bet he got his finger in there before the blade stopped. The video had me waiting for it to happen again.

Last edited:
Or you could simply buy the shell from MOP Supplies. 76 mm diameter (I think you mis spoke when you mention 38mm) and in any width you could want. At a cost of less than $4 a rosette. And it's solid shell, not Abalam.

Cheaper and easier...You can't beat that!!

I like the convenience of abalam - as you know, Chuck,s work and mine are worlds apart froma philisophical point of view.

Cheaper and easier...You can't beat that!!

Cheaper......Less money spent on Band-Aids!
Easier.......What could be easier than ordering on the computer and waiting for the mailman?
Better....... Solid shell is thicker and doesn't have that "phony ah-baloney" look.
That's my "philosophy" and I'm stickin' to it.

Guess I'm really lucky living in Oz, as the postage is cheap and I get my pearl in just a few days at most. In case any one of you are wondering if MOP Supplies is worth dealing with. I give my highest recommendation. Best prices and service.

I am sure they are - this post was not really questioning MOP supplies... thread drift I guess

Top Bottom