Knock-offs - even Kala is a victim!

Gmoney

Reaction score
In the recent threads about Flea & Mainland knock-offs, a common theme is the apparent targeting of a well-established "name" getting copied. Here's another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watermelon-Style-Pineapple-Soprano-Ukulele-Blue-Back-Side-Free-Black-Bag-/150841448052

The Kala Watermelon "pineapple" uke is the target here & notice that though the color of the body & back is identical to the Kala original, they call it "BLUE" in the add instead of the more "blue-green" that it and the Kala have.

I almost purchased this for my wall collection of colors, but will resist & get a Kala instead.

(I know its a cheap uke & that some might say that the Kala original is overpriced, but for me, I'll defer to the owner of the Kala brand that was my first uke a couple of years ago.)

Mahalo!

whos to know it doesnt come out of the same factory?
Kalas are made in china.
its a tempting price though for a knock about uke

Often they are not knock-offs as much as re-brands. If that makes sense. Except the Flea/Fluke thing because they are made in America and therefore if they come from China they are a knock-off. But like Strummin Simon said, sometimes it is the same factory and it is the factory selling someones design to other brands. It ain't right, but it happens.

That being said, I would always say buyer beware because they may be making the same design with lesser quality wood or they put the different brand-name on the out-takes. I have seen that happen too.

Kala's paint job is better IMO.

A whole new way of getting "Shanghaied" :rofl:

... a Kala by any other name ...

We get emails from oversea companies all the time with copies of ukes that look pretty familiar. I've seen those pseudo Kalas and other makes of popular ukuleles. I just like their names Milton for Martin always made me laugh!

Top Bottom