youthalele again.

kalmario

Reaction score
got inspired after watching the youthalele posts.

made of random wood out of my shed.
top: old weather boards (kauri i think)
side and bottom: old floor boards (possibly Matai but don't quote me)
neck, bridge and fret board is possibly Kwila can't really tell to be honest
tenor scale (17inch)

far too many mistakes, but sounds alright.
needs to have the action lowered and painted, but that can wait till summer. will stick better tuners on then too, if i'm still having fun playing it.

used gorilla grip, but now i'm regretting not having a go at home made hide (gelatine) glue, since the bridge needs to be reduced a little, or changed, but hey live and learn. in hindsight should have had the neck the same height as the top, rather than the top going over it (ended up having to reduce the bottom of the fret board to fit it)

Also used a drill press to put the frets in, this time, which made an annoying job a lot less painful.

big thanks to Brad for his plans and photo documentary. If anyone is hesitant about making a ukulele, this is a good way to start, and not hard at all.

Cheers

Cliff

youthalele2.jpg

cheers guys.

@sim4lin - i like the bridge too, unfortunatley i should have been more ruthless and made a shorter one. now i'm planning an 'on uke' fix with a belt sander, it could end in tears to be honest.

Cheers

Cliff

Nice, I like the top, knots and all. I can't wait until the music day-camp next week at my sister's school to help the kids assemble and play their youthaleles.

Dan

cheers all

@dhoenisch - good luck with the kids, (I'm guessing you will need heaps of tuners, and lots of time bringing up to pitch!) did you come in on budget in the ens?

@dofthesea - Carpe Beltsande :)

Cheers

Cliff

Na, went a little over budget with the money provided to me for materials, so I put quite a bit of my own in. No biggie. For the kids, I have a uke pitch pipe that seems to be right on pitch, so I'm going to see if we can use that. However, my feeling is I will sit there all night tuning, retuning, retuning, etc. every uke until I can't feel my hands anymore :)

Dan

makes you wonder if you can over stretch them to cut your work load down. ( a string winder i have has a grove in it designed to stretch the strings once they are on - never use it personally)

i would pack a spare screw driver to tweak the tuners with aswell, mine have needed tightening 3 to 4 times over the last week alone. (could be the rubbish tuners.....)

good luck with the kids

Cliff'

Top Bottom