HHG questions

AlaskaTheo

Reaction score
Hey Guys, So I think I’ve screwed up my batch of HHG in two ways and was wondering how serious to take it. I’ll make another batch, but wondered what you thought, and wondered if I can still use it until my next batch is ready.
I bought the HHG from LMI, in the directions it says not to get it above 145F, well mine got up to about 150F. Is that enough to warrant tossing a batch?
Second, I had to leave town for a few weeks for work, I left the glue in a cool spot, but not cool enough. There is a little mold on the top, can I scrape off the top and still use it?

Thanks

150F is not too hot for HHG, you should be fine on that score. I've used it at hotter temps with no ill effects. And yes, you should be able to scrape of the mold and use the unaffected portions.

Toss it. Life is too short to worry about it. If you are just using it for ukes make a small batch (~2-3oz) in a small squeeze bottle and keep it in the freezer between uses. Much easier, neater and most importantly, faster to apply a bead and close the joint before it cools. Heat the bottle in hot water in your HG heater. 10 minutes at 140 will have it hot. When you're finished with the project toss the remaining HHG and start with a fresh batch next time.

Look up HHG in frets.com all kinds of usage and storage tips from Frank Ford

Thanks Guys,
I should spend more time looking at Frets.com, there was some good info there. I like the idea of smaller batches, and it seems like I can mix up a batch in a few hours. The directions my hide glue came with said to soak overnight before heating.
Yesterday I was all fired up to make it to the woodshop for the day and didn’t want to wait for a new batch. It turns out though that I was totally sidetracked and never made it out to the shop. I must have missed a queen cell in one of my bee hives and spent the day (or at least most of my motivation) rounding up bees, a bit of a bee rodeo. Today however, it’s raining and a perfect day for shop work, I’ve got the fresh batch of glue soaking, and hopefully on the way to some of the final steps of my first uke.
I’ll probably play with the old stuff a bit too, just to see if it’s still good and see how it compares. I’ve got a lot to learn
Thanks Again.

Top Bottom