best option for soprano under U$500 ????

patico

Reaction score
hi UUers
i think it's time for me to buy a soprano.
i've never played one before so i'll buy one.
i have a tenor and a concert.

the taxes, shipping, etc, etc makes me pay a lot extra so i can only afford up to U$ 500 right now.

i was looking at eBay, one option could be PONO Mahogany Soprano, the other one could be MELE soprano (both in similar prices).

which of them would you chose?, why?
any other options in the under U$500 range

Thanks a lot UUs

I think the first thing you should do is track one down and try it, before throwing a large chunk of cash at one. $ 500 is a lot of money to spend on something you don't even know if you'll like/be able to play.

Seems Like a Good Idea.

If you shop around you MIGHT just get a Koaloha Pikake Soprano under $500.

I own one - astounding uke, and one of the loudest I have despite small size. I adore it. If you play concert you will have no issue being able to play a soprano. I would agree with Kahuna though - if you can try before you buy that is always a good idea.

Details on the Koaloha here - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/08/koaloha-pikake-soprano-ukulele-review.html

You could get a Hawaiian-made Kelii koa soprano in that price range. They are very sweet.

At $500, you're in the range of a vintage Martin style 0.

I would also throw a plug in for the Flea.

Scooter

So funny, no one answered your question regarding the Pono vs the Mele. I have played a Pono, very nice. Never owned either of these brands. It is very hard advising anyone on which uke to buy because what one person loves another may not. Me, I am not so taken by the KoAloha, but they are very popular. I love my Mainlands and think they are a great value. Not so enthralled with the fleas. It is impossible to get an answer. All of the above are fine choices but which will be your favorite?

If I had to choose between a Mele or a Pono, it'dbe a Mele. I've owned both. Actually sold two mele ukes once to buy my first pono. But last time I checked a mele soprano was around 200. Is 500 including your shipping/taxes?

Also would recommend mainland.
Have you considered used?
I know skiztic has a mele soprano she's getting rid of

Hi UUers
thanks all for your posts.

BigKahuna, i've been saving a little for a new uke, i know i'll love the size cause i play bass, guitar, electric, charango, concert, tenor, tahitian uke, and love'em all, i just love plucking strings all day long. how could i not love a cute "tiny guitar" like a soprano ???? LOL no seriously, for me.... size doesn't matters

I'll check Kiwaya and Kelii, n others in the ukulelesite.
the Kiwayas i found in eBay do not come with hard case, and that is a must for the shipping to Easter Island.

I have Big Island Concert and Mainland Tenor.
Mainland is pretty reasonable for the price, so i've also considered that option, a Mainland Soprano, but would also like to try other brands.
I'm not gonna buy a used/vintage instrument. there's no one who could do a job on them here.
i own other vintages and they all sit in the closet together occupying space.

Iorana
greetings from Easter Island

that Keli'i soprano looks nice, also the used Koaloha
thanx

Top Bottom