Just wondering when is the right time

harrylime

Reaction score
I am really studying and practicing the chords and am really pleased at how well the left hand is coming along ( whilst I have no illusions I still have a lot of chords to learn). My question is, is there a right time to progress onto right hand strumming practice. I must admit a lot of the time I just find myself using my thumb to strum as I practice the chords.I have plenty of patience but realise most of the ukes really great sound seems to come from the ability to use different strumming patterns. I don't want to progress to early if it is more important to get the chords right first.

Hmm.. a right time? I would say the earlier the better.

I agree with seeso - start now.

Playing an instrument is all about integrating lots of skills, and they all need to come on together. You can separate the types of practice by doing your strumming practice only with the simplest chords at first. Learning a lot of chords is no fun unless you can do something with them.

The best time to start practicing strumming is once you wondered when is the right time.

Don't follow a rigid timeline or other prescribed pattern to learning. It seems to me the best kine way is to begin trying something once you have a curiosity about it. Blaze your own trail, brah. Playing is more fun and more bettah that way.

Now...before you develop any bad habits. Learning good technique is easier the first time than it is while also trying to break bad habits. I know Uncle Rod emphasizes learning chords with a simple strum, it should still be correctly done.
Good luck....it will come.

Great! Thanks all I've been hanging fire until I mastered a few chords but I will certainly be progressing onto the strumming right away. It's all exciting stuff!!:music:

The best time to start practicing strumming is once you wondered when is the right time.

Definitely! A reason to hold off on strumming at first is to keep from getting overwhelmed, but as soon as you want to strum, you should start strumming!

Top Bottom