Progressing to the next level.

carolani

Reaction score
I was reading the "Most Valuable Tip" thread. I had a question and not wanting to be a hijacker I started my own thread for it.

I have been at the "strumming chords" level for a while. I have started a little fingerpicking but I'm stuck. I'll try to explain my problem as briefly as I can.

It's all well and good to find a tab and learn a song that way but I think understanding how the strumming and the fingerpicking fit together would take me to the next level in my playing. Can anyone explain to me how I would take a song that I know all the chords to and add the melody? I'm guessing the first step is knowing what key the song is in. But then what? Is it all trial and error? I hope I'm making sense.

I just had my one year ukuiversay and would like to start the next year with some more advanced knowledge. If any one has any ideas I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks

Last edited:
You may need to learn some good fingerpicking techniques without worrying about a "song." What helped me was to practice some random fingerpicking with some chord noodeling....sometimes while I mute the strings in front of the TV (so I don't disturb my honey). As my fingers became more proficient fingerpicking with simple chord changes, I was able to more easily transition to understanding tabs and doing it with songs I know. I still have a ways to go, but it worked for me.

I'm certainly no Jake, or any kind of expert uke player, but I will tell you how I figure out chord melodies, which are a combination of chords and finger picking. First I get the chords. Then, I just try to strum maybe the first or last chord of a measure, and figure out what notes I can finger pick to complete the melody in that measure. Most of the melody is in the chord, but some you have to reach up or down a fret or two, or take your finger off a string - you just have to experiment. If you work at it, soon you will have a song that has both chords and finger-picked melodies. If you search the forum, there are also several good threads on chord solos.

Can anyone explain to me how I would take a song that I know all the chords to and add the melody? I'm guessing the first step is knowing what key the song is in. But then what?

If you know the chords, you can figure out the key - often, but not always, the chord the song ends on will clue you in. If it ends with a C chord, pretty good chance the key is C.

Now that you have that, you want to learn the notes in the scale, and where to find those notes on your fretboard. Usually you'll be able to play the same note in 2 or 3 places - for instance, F can be found second string first fret, or third string fifth fret.

Once you know the key that the song is in, and the notes in that key, start trying to pick out the melody. if you already have the chords, often (but again, not always) you'll find the melody notes in those chords.

Once you've figured out the melody, learn it well. And learn the chords well. And then you can start putting the two together. Or do it the other way around: figure out the melody first, then try to find chords that fit.

At least, this is how I do it :)

Thanks for the replies.

Phil- thanks for the tip. I do need to work on my fingerpicking techniques. I have been studying the picking patterns that Aldrine has broken down in his videos. I'm far from proficient but having fun working on it.

SweetWater Blue- Thanks for sharing your method with me. I will try some experimenting and see what I can come up with.

Janeray- I have a pretty decent, intermediate knowledge of music theory but I learned it on a piano. For some reason applying it to a fretted instrument is proving more difficult for me. I can find individual notes on my fretboard but they don't come to me quickly. I guess practicing more scales and trying to memorize my fretboard better is in order.

Thanks again everyone. I have a few things to work on and experiment with.

I was reading the "Most Valuable Tip" thread. I had a question and not wanting to be a hijacker I started my own thread for it.

I have been at the "strumming chords" level for a while. I have started a little fingerpicking but I'm stuck. I'll try to explain my problem as briefly as I can.

It's all well and good to find a tab and learn a song that way but I think understanding how the strumming and the fingerpicking fit together would take me to the next level in my playing. Can anyone explain to me how I would take a song that I know all the chords to and add the melody? I'm guessing the first step is knowing what key the song is in. But then what? Is it all trial and error? I hope I'm making sense.

I just had my one year ukuiversay and would like to start the next year with some more advanced knowledge. If any one has any ideas I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks

i have been taking uke lessons for about 4 months>>internet is okay but i think if you want to get to the next level it is the best way to go..i am in a group lesson and enjoy the other people in the class..there must be a good teacher in your area?..yes learn your fretboard and since you already know how to read music you are almost there...keep practicing but i think a teacher will get you to where you want faster..there are simple songs that will help you to learn the fretboard..before my lessons i played for awhile on my own but i think uke lessons(with a teacher) the best way to learn..

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas. I'll definitely check out the links. I'm not sure about teachers in my area. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks again.

Carolani I worked way up North in a lumber camp in the 50's and there was a uke there with no top string (A). Well after that winter I was able to pick out melodies quite well. It wasn't 'til after I put 10lb fishing line on for the A string that I even knew there was a strumming pattern to be learned. I guess lots of practise plus experiments was my secret even though I only knew my do..re..me..fa..thingy to figure the fretboard out.

Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas. I'll definitely check out the links. I'm not sure about teachers in my area. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks again.

if you do find a teacher make sure you tell them that you want to fingerpick/fingerstyle..most teachers want to teach strumming..but i am pretty sure you can strum songs pretty well already if you have playing been for a year..if i knew how to send you my lesson sheets i would(but i am very low low tech..ha ha)
i can tell you are really in to ukes..good luck...

Last edited:
At 3:20 of this video Joel Eckhaus answers 2 questions about creating chord melody arrangements.
This Marcy Marxer video is a very nice chord melody arrangement, approachable and lots of fun to play.

Carolani I worked way up North in a lumber camp in the 50's and there was a uke there with no top string (A). Well after that winter I was able to pick out melodies quite well. It wasn't 'til after I put 10lb fishing line on for the A string that I even knew there was a strumming pattern to be learned. I guess lots of practise plus experiments was my secret even though I only knew my do..re..me..fa..thingy to figure the fretboard out.

Wow!!! It's impressive that you were able to make do with 3 strings and still learn how to play!!!

if you do find a teacher make sure you tell them that you want to fingerpick/fingerstyle..most teachers want to teach strumming..but i am pretty sure you can strum songs pretty well already if you have playing been for a year..if i knew how to send you my lesson sheets i would(but i am very low low tech..ha ha)
i can tell you are really in to ukes..good luck...

Thanks. I know what you mean about being "low tech":). I'm the same way.

At 3:20 of this video Joel Eckhaus answers 2 questions about creating chord melody arrangements.
This Marcy Marxer video is a very nice chord melody arrangement, approachable and lots of fun to play.

Thanks for the links Ray. The Marcy Marxer video is exactly what I would like to be able to do.

Wow!!! It's impressive that you were able to make do with 3 strings and still learn how to play!!!
It only had 12 frets so I tuned it to the lowest note I could sing which I made my "do" on the open C string, then I was able to get to an octave and a half (which was as high as I could sing anyway) which was the note "so" on the 12th fret on the G string. In my ignorance I didn't realize the limitations, but most country and western songs sound fine with only 12 tones. Of course there was the half tones in between which seemed to work themselves out somehow in my wee brain. HaHa!!

Top Bottom