Kala Pacific Walnut (Laminate) Anyone played one and got feedback ? ASAP Please.

Leodhas

Reaction score
Hello, won a wee bit of extra cash on the horses this weekend and want to treat myself to a new uke before I decide to be sensible.

Spotted these Pacific Walnut and they look fairly cool in the pictures online, has anyone handled one and what's your feedback?

I realise most of these Kalas are of a good standard for the cash, but is there anything unusual about this one that anyone can report? Think I'm going to go tenor or soprano, but I want to buy before I change my mind. Basically it just looks fairly cool and fun, is it?

Thanks for any feedback.

PS, By no means am I a big gambler, just got a good tip this weekend that couldn't be ignored and checked the results this morning and to my surprise it came in. Most of the cash is going towards my holiday in August but I'm holding £200 back for a treat.

I don't have any sort of help for you, or answer to your questions, but it does bring up one of my own: does the type of wood in a laminate really make a difference? I mean, I know that mahogany is different from cedar is different from koa is different from spruce, etc etc etc, but when laminated, are the differnece tonal qualities retained so those character differences come out, or is one lam basically the same as another?

Just wondering ...

I don't have any sort of help for you, or answer to your questions, but it does bring up one of my own: does the type of wood in a laminate really make a difference? I mean, I know that mahogany is different from cedar is different from koa is different from spruce, etc etc etc, but when laminated, are the differnece tonal qualities retained so those character differences come out, or is one lam basically the same as another?

Just wondering ...

Aye, different laminated woods will have their own character, It won't be as defined as solids but it will be there.

Last edited:
I owned one for a bit...it has nice tone, but is very quiet...gave it to a customer of mine who loves it...

I tried one and found it too quiet. 200 BPS at today's exchange rate is around $322. For that amount, you could get a solid wood Kala acacia concert or a solid wood Islander mahogany concert, both of which, i my opinion, have more sound and resonance.

I tried one and found it too quiet. 200 BPS at today's exchange rate is around $322. For that amount, you could get a solid wood Kala acacia concert or a solid wood Islander mahogany concert, both of which, i my opinion, have more sound and resonance.
No, you can't, unfortunately. the Islander is £245, the Kala all solid acacia clocks in at £260. Yes, ukuleles are a lot dearer in the UK.

Just wondering ...

you should start a new post with this question. Should have some interesting thoughts

Don't want to side track the post Leodhas, but the nature of laminates warrants the "play before you pay" adage. You don't know if the middle wood layer is clear or knotty. There are lots of great laminates out there but some duller ones there too.

I bought the Kala Soprano Walnut uke for a gift and it sounded terrible!...Too, plinky and toy like.

I returned it and bought a Soprano Islander MS-4 and it sounds Awesome!...

Just wondering ...

I suspect the quality of the laminate vs the exposed veneer and care of construction will be the greatest factors in tone volume etc. there are some vg laminates out there. Just because a brand x uke is solid wood is no guarantee its better than a brand y laminate. theres a point in construction where the solid is best I think we all agree on that. The ability to layer wood with cnc control and control density and thickness has improved greatly in recent years as laminate design and bonding agents improve so will the characteristics of the wood. consider what we have done with tape layer s and carbon fiber.

as stated in previous posts there are some lovely solid wood ukes to be had for £200, shop around the Kala solid mahogany range are really good value for money and sound great

If you're ever south of the border there's an excellent uke shop in Monkseaton near Newcastle called Hound Dog Music (the website only shows a fraction of what they sell). All ukes are set-up beautifully and the prices are very competitive.

Top Bottom