Of foam hardshell cases, in-case neck supports, and velcro.

beautifulsoup

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but I've chosen the Beginners Forum (since I still categorize myself as such).

Anyway...I'm aware that the Lanikai foam hardshell cases no longer have the inside velcro neck strap supports. (Even though online pictures may still show that they do).

Do the Kala cases still have this in-case neck support feature? (You know, the straps that velcro over the neck to stabilize the neck).

Do any foam hardshell cases have these anymore?

And lastly: Has anyone tried using velcro fabric glue and straps of velcro to fashion one's own straps for support, and to glue them into the case? (Just wondering if that could work).

Thanks for your help. :)

Last edited:
My latest pod case doesn't have them. I'll be honest though, if the case is a good fit ive not found the need for them, and in fact I find them a bit fiddly.

If your uke rattles in the case then you either need a better fitting case or (if it's your only option) just pad the uke down into the hollow with a rolled up clean polishing cloth over the fingerboard .

Don't see what else the straps do to be honest apart from creating something else to undo when removing the uke. If you are concerned about security, get extra padding.

I had a styrofoam hard case with a loose velcro strap once, and was able to glue it back into it's slot with standard white glue (like used in crafts). You could add your own, if necessary.
I think it is a safety feature, in case the lid isn't zipped up, and you pick up the case by the handle.
–Lori

I suppose it could be a safety feature Lori, but if so, never seen one in a hard shell case?

I'm still in the camp of it being an unnecessary fiddly addition!

Every one I've ever had pulled out just from the tension of separating the Velcro. It's only held in by a "T" tab on the end of the strap. I've never been successful in getting one to go back the way it was intended, so I'm with bazmaz. I'll use it if it's there. If it pulls out I don't bother trying to replace it.

If your uke rattles in the case then you either need a better fitting case or...

a bigger Uke'

I notice you don't appear to have a Baritone, Baz ;)

Last edited:
(review of one on its way soon Kahuna! ;-)

Thanks to all for the replies. bazmaz, I was thinking of throwing in some type of padding for stabilzation; seems logical. The ukes does rattle in the case; two Lanikais, both in Lanikai cases; go figure.

ETA: (But a neck strep isn't too fiddley for me; I did have one case with a strap at one time, in another circumstance).

Last edited:
Top Bottom