Mainland necks.

PinoyUker

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with them? And how did they work out.

No probs with mine!! If you are having problems with yours, you should either contact Mike at Mainland Ukes or the shop you purchased your uke from. I am sure they would sort it out for you!!

Mine seems to work just fine attached to my mainland uke.

Wiseasses, the lot o' yez! *grin*

PinoyUker, I bought a bunch of them a while back and have been fiddling with them. The fretboards are nice and seem to be right (when compared to my other ukes) measurement-wise and the necks themselves are, while unfinished, good and solid with plenty of room at the top for carving out a nice design if you want to.
I haven't finished the design on the box I'm going to use for my next one, so I haven't attached it, but the neck (note, it's not flat where it attaches. I have had to carve a filler block) looks like it will attach nice and straight without too much adjustment.
I prefer a thinner neck with a flatter back. Sanding one of these down and getting it just right was easy.

No probs with mine!! If you are having problems with yours, you should either contact Mike at Mainland Ukes or the shop you purchased your uke from. I am sure they would sort it out for you!!
No problems! Im talking about the ones you buy Separately.

Last edited:
Wiseasses, the lot o' yez! *grin*

PinoyUker, I bought a bunch of them a while back and have been fiddling with them. The fretboards are nice and seem to be right (when compared to my other ukes) measurement-wise and the necks themselves are, while unfinished, good and solid with plenty of room at the top for carving out a nice design if you want to.
I haven't finished the design on the box I'm going to use for my next one, so I haven't attached it, but the neck
(note, it's not flat where it attaches. I have had to carve a filler block) looks like it will attach nice and straight without too much adjustment.
I prefer a thinner neck with a flatter back. Sanding one of these down and getting it just right was easy.

How did you attatch the fretboard to the neck? And then the neck to the body? Or how will you.... :eek:

How did you attatch the fretboard to the neck? And then the neck to the body? Or how will you.... :eek:

Because it'll be a CBU, I'm not going to get fancy. I'll just glue it, then chuck a couple of screws in to attach it.
The fretboard, I'll figger out the position of the nut and fretboard, then glue and clamp them down.

Ok, I'm not quite sure how my reply is going to sound when I finish typing this, as I've only got to here so far. Oh, actually, now I'm here, and it's not sounding too bad.

Anyway, I get the (possibly wrong) impression from your questions that you are at the stage where you've thought "hmm, I'd quite like to build a Uke" and are casting around for the bits first with the intention of collecting them all in one place and then trying to assemble them. If I'm way off the mark here, feel free to slap me.

My point is, if this is the case, perhaps you'd be better enrolling on an instrument building course, or buying a full kit along with instructional video and books.

I've tried to word this in the friendliest and kindest way I can, so if I've in any way offended, I apologise. I usually try to save my offensive replies for spammers and scammers :)

Spend some time reading threads in the Luthiers' Lounge. It is an invaluable resource with hours and hours of time spent writing fantastic tutorials and advice from people WAY better at this than me.

Ill pass on the slapping. I dont want to make a seriously nice uke. Just put a neck on a nice koa rectangular bowl ive had for a long time. The top is already on... So i think my only option is to glue it, and hope it turns out pretty. Titebond III here i come.

I guess you didn't take UncleElvis' advice.

Aaron

I had to chuckle when I saw Titebond III. PinoyUker, do some searching around in the Luthier's Lounge for advice about the best glue. There is plenty of information in there that a quick search for "best glue" should reveal a wealth of information. Good luck! I had a huge gourd for a while that I was going to do a uke conversion on with one of Mainland's necks, but life just got too busy...

Top Bottom