PDA

View Full Version : Fishman Matrix Infinity Active pickup - inside nylon pounch not secure

fuey
07-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I have the Fishman Matrix Infinity Active pickup in my ukulele installed at the Kamaka factory and the nylon bag which sticks with a black rubber adhesive to the base of the neck under the fret board doesn't seem to be strong enough. Has anyone else had this issue? The bag has actually fallen down while it was in the case, while on the wall hanger and also during playing (I mainly only finger pick so no crazy strumming or shaking going on although my finger picking hold position does tend to make the ukulele stand almost upright). I do live in a hot and humid environment though where it can be from 25-30 degrees Celsius at all times and humidity from 60-80 percent. The bag has a bit of weight to it and re-sticks to where it falls immediately. The ukulele is brand new being only finished in June 2012. I would prefer the bag staying where Kamaka installed it instead of it sticking to the sides and the back or even my lovely label seen through the sound hole.

At the moment, I give it a press every day and during break in playing to try make sure it's not going to fall down but it does gradually seem to get loose.

I'm not wanting to use glue to stick it in position as the place where it is now also has a nice Kamaka sticker with the serial number which I don't want to damage. I'm worried it may fall one day to a place at the bottom of the uke and I wont be able to pull it back to the neck area or that it may stick again to the hole label and this time do some damage to it.

If the only answer would be to use glue, would it be the glue that turns to rubber after it sets. I fear I will destroy or make the inside label all mucky.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Unfortunately, taking it back to Kamaka for them to re secure it is not really an option due to where I live. I've sent Kamaka an email as well asking for advice in my situation but maybe I can get some answers from fellow players that have also had the same issue and found the best solution.

ukulelecowboy
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Is this the bag that holds the 9 volt battery? I assume that it is. I use industrial strength Velcro to to the bag in place in my Pono Baritone. It does a great job and I can get to the bag to swap out the battery if needed. Make sure to use the industrial strength. Nit is much stronger than conventional Velcro.

Hope this helps,
Mike

fuey
07-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Good advice. Never thought of that. Will hunt for some industrial velcro. Thanks for taking time to help and reply. Much appreciated.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
In order for the velcro adhesive to stick the surface has to be clean and smooth, preferably sealed. When I used to install those pickups I would brush some lacquer on a very small area where the battery pack was to be installed. Proper surface prep is critical.
Thankfully, I've been able to avoid all 9 volt battery powered pickups since the variety of choices have gotten wider.

fuey
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
I was reading the online instructions and saw the cleaning part but didn't think of a inside lacquer finish to help it. Thanks again for some valuable advice on this matter. Again, much appreciated.