Uke gig case question

Markr1

Reaction score
This may have been asked before but I haven't seen it before. Why do ukulele companies and some uke players when selling ukes or uke cases state the uke gigbags are hardshell cases? I know they are not hardshell. They are what I would consider as I called it a gig case. If I were to buy a uke and didn't see the case but was told it was a hardshell case as many state and the uke arrived in a gig case I would not be happy at all.

Does anyone else understand this? I don't.

I'm with you. Even if certain bags may provide similar protection for a uke, hard shell means HARD. I'd trust my ukulele to a Reunion Blues gig bag as much as most hard shell cases, but it's still a gig bag. The cloth covered foam bags actually may do a fine job of protecting a typically a lighter instrument like a uke, but it shouldnt be billed as hard shell.

I guess Ive never seen that?! If its a bag for the Uke we call it a gig-bag as it should be!

I think the term "gig bag" has the connotation that it doesn't protect as well as a hardshell case, even though many gig bags (liek Reunion Blues, for example) do. It's really sort of misleading to say "hardshell case" unless the item actually is a hardshell case, even if it protects the instrument like one. One way to avoid getting something you don't want is to ask for a photo of the case/bag before buying the instrument.

It's probably because 1) They don't know any better or 2) that's what they were told. I know it's confusing for the hard foam cases since I've heard them called hard case and hard foam case but I wouldn't call it a gig bag.

Reunion Blues and Momo bags costs more than typical hard cases but if you called it a gig bag and the buyer had no pics or idea on the brand, they would think it was a cheap gig bag.

Well...when the hard foam and canvas cases came out (fairly recently) they kind of created a quandry. They really do provide almost as much protection as a "hard" case at a fraction of the weight and cost. Calling them a gig bag is certainly not appropriate because even though the outer shell is canvas they are in no way a wimpy bag. They will crush but it takes quite a bit of force to do so, unlike a gig bag which will crush if you look at it cross-eyed.

I call them what they are, "lightweight hard-foam cases" but that is a mouthful in casual conversation. :)

Honestly, for any situation other than checked baggage I've come to much prefer the hard-foam cases to traditional "hard" cases. They provide enough protection for anything short of a baggage-handling gorilla and they are much lighter and more convenient and typically have backpack straps as well. The only time I could see myself needing more protection for my ukes is if I was letting someone else (roadie, baggage handler) determine their fate. Since I'll never reach the lofty heights where I have a roadie, and since I've never checked an instrument on a flight, I love 'dem cheap "hard" cases. :)

My KoAloha, Mainland mango tenor, and Kiwaya are all in hard cases but I don't think I've bought another hard case since I received my first "lightweight hard foam" case. :)

John

Top Bottom