Lessons?

jrasche2003

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any lessons for Ukulele in Minnesota?

Primarily Maple Grove, Plymouth, Crystal, New Hope, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Osseo, St. Louis Park area or abouts... or heck.. anywhere in Northwest suburbs of Minneapolis?

Thanks!!!!

The best I came up with is the Homestead Pickin' Parlour in Richfield.

I am in Robbinsdale and make the trip every other week every other week.

I understand your desire to stay Up North. But sometimes we just have to be brave, cross the 45th Parallel, and dwell in the south.

Good luck!

In the past I have taken lessons at Homestead. I'd also check Twin Town Guitar.
If I were to take local lessons again I think I'd use Craig's List.
I took a couple of lap steel lessons at American Music (?) in Maple Grove. They might know of someone.

I hope I'm doing the right thing by using search to reply to a relevant older thread.

I live in Minneapolis and am considering taking the group ukulele lessons at Twin Town. Has anyone done their 4-week program?

I hope I'm doing the right thing by using search to reply to a relevant older thread.

I live in Minneapolis and am considering taking the group ukulele lessons at Twin Town. Has anyone done their 4-week program?
I have not. But I know a couple of people that have. They used to go to StrumMn. We meet this Monday, Jan 7th from 7 - 9 at Corner Coffee in the warehouse district.

I have not. But I know a couple of people that have. They used to go to StrumMn. We meet this Monday, Jan 7th from 7 - 9 at Corner Coffee in the warehouse district.

Thanks! I am definitely going to try StrumMn, but I think I need more practice (and my new ukulele) first. :)

Well, I had my first Uke Group lesson at Twin Town tonight. The people in the class were cool, but ukulele-wise, it was underwhelming and more than a little disappointing.

The teacher said we should all strum directly over the soundhole and seemed to think it was so odd that someone would strum with their index finger rather than thumb. The reason I signed up was that I thought lessons would help encourage me to not start off with bad habits, but I don't think I'm going to get good guidance in that area.

I also felt bad for the folks that were completely new to ukulele. The teacher was disorganized and more into talking about herself than teaching. She drew some chords on a whiteboard, but didn't even really demonstrate how to do them in front of the group or walk around and give individual guidance. It was just awkward.

The $60 I spent on the classes would have been better spent on my UUU membership. I guess I'll keep up with that and also try to become a more disciplined autodidact. It's a real bummer because I was really excited about this.

Last edited:
That is a terribly disappointing class situation! I am so glad you are smart enough to walk away rather than persist because you paid the money. I do hope you can find something more satisfying.

Thanks for listening. I was a bit down about it last night, but learning on my own won't be so bad. I forgot to mention one interesting thing about the class. When she went one about how it was weird to strum with your index finger, I mentioned that a lot of things on the web say to do just that. One of the gentlemen in the class said, yeah, like Aldrine Guerrerro. Maybe he's on UU too! If you are here, unmask yourself! ; )

Top Bottom